Single-Stage Blower Drive Housing/Underbody Cleanup - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-16-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
Single-Stage Blower Drive Housing/Underbody Cleanup

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on how to deal with built up dirt/grime/rust in the drive/pulley housing area of my blower. Blower does not have anything covering/protecting the underside like most modern blowers so it has been exposed to salt, snow, water, gravel, etc. There is no oil or gas in the mower at the moment, but there were no issues running it last winter before it was stored away.

I have never worked with or on the gears/metal/belts/axles associated with small engines so I'm currently lacking the experience/knowledge, but not the motivation or will, to go about cleaning them up! Once the next off-season comes I'll take the blower apart and do a full resto underneath, but in the meantime I just want to get it through this season. My previous thread may have been too ambitious and had too many details so I'm posting this simplified, focused one instead.

What can I use to clean up the old grease/lubricant on the axle and gears? Will a dry shop towel and some soap+ warm water do the trick? I have white lithium grease that I plan on applying where the old grease was previously.

How about with the build-up on the pulleys? I'm afraid to unknowingly spray or apply anything potentially damaging to the rubber or pulleys themselves.

Is there anything particularly concerning from the pictures I should address first?

I appreciate any advice! And I'm open to suggestions on what to or not to do.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission Assembly and Axles_IMG_20181004_185531.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	148591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger Pulley and Belt_IMG_20181004_185602.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	148593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underbody_IMG_20181010_184318.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	148595  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-16-2018, 08:31 PM
evh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 16
WD-40 works great on the grime. Soap and water won't touch the grease. I would keep it off the belts.

One thing I have learned is that living richly is less about the net worth on your bank statement and more about the value of the lessons you offer those who want to learn from you.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks conc thanked for this post
post #3 of 5 Old 11-16-2018, 09:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
thats not a single stage, or a typical single stage, sure looks like the belly of a 2 stage blower.
gears, chains,sprockets should have some lube/grease on them. keep it off the belts and the drive disc, its a shiny flat round metal disc.
plenty of utube vids to show u how to maintain a blower, search donyboy73 videos

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks conc thanked for this post
Likes evh liked this post
post #4 of 5 Old 11-20-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
thats not a single stage, or a typical single stage, sure looks like the belly of a 2 stage blower.
gears, chains,sprockets should have some lube/grease on them. keep it off the belts and the drive disc, its a shiny flat round metal disc.
plenty of utube vids to show u how to maintain a blower, search donyboy73 videos
I'll check those out, thank you.

I thought it was a two stage blower, but I don't see a friction disc and it the blower only has one forward/backwards speed. I don't know if those features are exclusive to 1 or 2 stage blowers but most of the help videos for two stage blowers I've watched seem to have a different system than this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evh View Post
WD-40 works great on the grime. Soap and water won't touch the grease. I would keep it off the belts.
Will give the WD40 a shot. Thank you!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-20-2018, 02:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
2 stages have an impeller, the thing that actually spits out the snow through the chute, and the auger, the corkscrew thingy turning in the front that brings the snow to the impeller so the impeller can do its thing.
being self propelled, or not, has nothing todo with it being a 2 stage but afaik all 2 stages are self propelled in one way or another.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page