LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-27-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
Techumseh h35 causing many griefs

Bought an old rotohoe snowblower from the late 50s. It has a techumseh h35 engine on it that just refuses to run right. It wont rev up and misses every few seconds. It sounds almost digital, like it runs then slows then recoveres then repeat.

Things I tried
Cleaning the carb
Replacing the carb with a brand new one
Gapping and cleaning points
Checked valve clearences
Checked tank and line.
Tried adjusting screws on carb.
Plug and wire look fine.
Flywheel key is fine
Flywheel magnet is fine and strong

I dont think it's the carb itself just because the problem was identical before and after replacing the carb. It wont rev when I try to move the throttle by hand so it's not the governor. What could it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 167
"It won't rev when Intry to move the throttle by hand, so it's jot the governor . . ."

What are you moving, exactly? If it's the throttle *control*, then that almost certainly *IS* a gov problem. If you are moving the gov arm and attached throttle vane on the carb, then you are correct . . .

If the gov binds, then the throttle *control* will do nothing. If it gets sticky, you can get inconsistency like you see. Air leaks can also cause inconsistencies . . . make sure everything from the carb to the head is tight and sealed!
post #3 of 5 Old 11-28-2018, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Throttle moves freely(lever control) and if I grab the top of the carb that is attached to the butterfly and turn it it falls on its face. So it dosent matter if I use the hand throttle control or try to move the carb linkages/butterfly lever directly it still dies.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-28-2018, 05:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 167
Are you sure you are turning the throttle and not the choke on the carb? The throttle plate is the one closest to the block. Also, 'falls on it's face' and 'won't rev up' mean different things to me. 'Won't rev up' means you move it, and speed does not change - up or down. 'falls on it's face' means it stumbles and dies . . . If running with low load, and adding throttle causes it to die, mixture may be wrong.If no change, then likely linkages . . . More specific and accurate (and consistent) information would help us help you a lot . . .
post #5 of 5 Old 11-29-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes I'm moving the right one. it wont rev up because it falls on its face...I'm not a novice with this stuff, it's just this one has me stumped. I've already tried to adjust the carb, set float height ect. I'm going to get some fuel resistant gasket epoxy for the intake and see if that helps seal it a bit more.

Last edited by Homkoguy; 11-29-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page