LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-29-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Auger Gearbox Repair - Sheffield SB

Ok, so I did not get it rebuilt before the first heavy snow and the next one is coming!

Not sure who made this - thought it was Canadian because of the red maple leaf in the logo but read somewhere that it was made in New York?? Well built machine, I bought it used over 20 years ago.

I was always concerned about endplay in the auger driveshaft. It got to more than 1/4" and a lot of "up and down" play. Pulling out on the shaft and turning by hand did not feel good - time to take it apart!

A cordless impact driver and a few pullers made disassembly fairly easy.. I was expecting an easy fix - replace a thrust bushing, maybe a few bearings..
Surprise - it has needle bearings on the shaft and uses the aluminum housing to take the thrust.
One bearing rusted/seized, other bearing "needleless". The aluminum housing was worn until the worm gear pushed against the bearing - destroyed the bearing, needles fell out giving lots of end play and "up and down" play.
It did not damage the bore the bearing fits in - just shortened it by about 1/4". It did not damage the brass gear - just alot of needles in the grease!
Glad I caught it before it got "Really Bad"!
Attached is a pic of the machine and method used to remove the worm gear. I used PB Blaster which works great - when it has some time to work!

Almost ready to reassemble it. Gearbox looks similar to Atlas pic found online.

Allan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheffield SB.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	149301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1985a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	149303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Worm Gear.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	149305   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-11-30_200201_atlas.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	149307  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-29-2018, 05:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
That looks like a Canadiana 8/26 that I had in the early 70's. It was promoted at that time as Canadian made. I think they went out of business and then the name returned. The bolted on side covers for the bucket made some maintenance very easy, but still retained structural integrity. Never had any trouble with the auger gearbox. Thanks for posting, brings back memories of a great machine way ahead of its time.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #3 of 3 Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Thanks for the info Town. I did a quick search for Canadiana and came up with some new info. I also have another blower (less motor) that is similar construction but red, no differential and has a brace on the auger gearbox. It's buried in the shed and I forget the name.
Mine is an 8/26 with Briggs and Stratton motor. I bought both used in 1994 - thought maybe only a few years old. It has been a good machine.

I think the problem with the gearbox was the grease was not getting up to the needle bearings - and maybe the grease was too thick? then again - 18 plus years operation is pretty good!
I am adding grease fittings for the bearings and going to use 00 grease in the gearbox.
Again, thanx for the info.

Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page