LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Honda HS80 Oil coming out the breather?

I have a honda HS80 that I started up for the first time for the year. After about 40 seconds of running (driving it around the yard auger not going) oil started coming out the breather case (I think see photo, Oil coming out of the tube i traced in yellow). Any tips or suggestions towards fixing this would be a great help.

Some more details.
I have done no engine maintenance on this snowblower in the past 4 years other than keeping the oil topped up.
It started first pull once I added gas today.
While I didn't run it more than 20 seconds once oil started coming out, it seemed to be running quite well both moving the track and throwing some snow, no real decrease in power observed but the snow wasn't very heavy or deep.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	149427  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-30-2018, 11:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 694
Thanks (Received): 186
Likes (Given): 1113
Likes (Received): 1119
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seusden View Post
I have a honda HS80 that I started up for the first time for the year. After about 40 seconds of running (driving it around the yard auger not going) oil started coming out the breather case (I think see photo, Oil coming out of the tube i traced in yellow). Any tips or suggestions towards fixing this would be a great help.

Some more details.
I have done no engine maintenance on this snowblower in the past 4 years other than keeping the oil topped up.
It started first pull once I added gas today.
While I didn't run it more than 20 seconds once oil started coming out, it seemed to be running quite well both moving the track and throwing some snow, no real decrease in power observed but the snow wasn't very heavy or deep.

Thanks
Please correct if i am wrong but i believe that is caused by too much pressure built up in crankcase. first thing i would do is check oil and make sure it is not overfilled. there may be gas in oil also from a bad float.

also I would remove plug and pull starter cord or electric start to blow oil out of cylinder.

there may be other things you can check that the honda experts will suggest in a bit.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks seusden thanked for this post
post #3 of 8 Old 11-30-2018, 11:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 294
The breather on the valve cover is designed to vent crankcase pressure. If excessive oil is leaking from the vent their can be a few potential problems.

-over filled oil level as orangputeh pointed out.
-worn piston rings causing combustion gasses to enter the crankcase.
-blown head gasket causing the same as above.

Check your oil level, if normal, then a compression tester is Needed. Establishing a base compression number then adding a little oil to the cylinder and testing again can show if the rings are causing the blow by. Checking for a blown head gasket is easiest done with a leak down tester.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks seusden thanked for this post
post #4 of 8 Old 12-01-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks,

The oil is indeed way over full, from gas leaking in since, I haven't added any oil and the gas level has gone down.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-01-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you for the help.

I drained and refilled the oil. Then cleared the driveway, ~15 minutes, with nothing out the breather. Afterwards I checked the oil level again and it hadn't increased noticeably. I know this is more of a bandaid than a real fix so any pointers towards some references on actual maintenance for this problem would be greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-01-2018, 05:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Gas getting into the oil is typically from the carburetor's needle valve not closing fully. So more gas keeps flowing into the carb bowl, then it overflows into the engine's intake, leaks into the cylinder, gets past the piston rings, and makes it to the crankcase.

Oil with gas in it does not lubricate as well, and can cause internal engine damage. So this situation is more than just an inconvenience. The quick temporary fix is to install a fuel shutoff on the line from the tank to the carb, assuming you have access to that line. When you finish using it, you close the fuel shutoff, and let the carb run dry until the engine dies. Keep the shutoff closed until the next use. This way no gas can leak into the carb, and eventually the crankcase.

The long-term fix is to disassemble the carb and repair what ever is wrong with the needle valve. It could also be related to a carb float that has leaked, and has some gas in the float.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #7 of 8 Old 12-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
Sounds like the rubber seat in the carb inlet is worn and not providing a seal for the valve operated by the float. Or the float has a hole and full of fuel so not rising to allow the valve to seal against the rubber seat. A slight leak over the summer will put a lot of fuel in the crankcase. A carb kit may not include the float but will include the fuel inlet valve and the rubber seat. If the float has fuel inside when you shake it then it needs to be replaced.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #8 of 8 Old 12-01-2018, 06:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 694
Thanks (Received): 186
Likes (Given): 1113
Likes (Received): 1119
Garage
I've seen this happen to several 80's. Best answer already mentioned. shut off gas valve and run dry when done. then i would drain carb from drain bolt. next day take that plug out and see if the bowl is full.

then you have a faulty gas shut off valve for one thing.

plus like already mentioned , the float or needle valve is faulty and gas is overflowing into crankcase and mixing with oil.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page