LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 12-03-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
John Deere 826 Auger Shaft Play

Hello All! Im new to the forum and would love some assistance! I consider myself mechanically inclined, but not so much with snowblower and gear boxes.

I inherited a John Deere 826 from my father that needs a bit of work. When the auger is engaged, the auger pulley is moving in/out of the auger housing. You can visually see the pulley moving and you can also see from the auger that it is moving in and out.

I have split the motor and the auger house to ensure that the auger bearing behind the auger housing is not damaged. The auger bearing/bushing both look in great shape. The issue is also that the auger shaft/pulley is moving in/out and not side to side play or up and down as would be expected from bearing/bushing wear from the auger bearing.

If i grab the auger shaft and pull in/out, i notice that the shaft moves slightly from the gear box. I dont believe the shaft is supposed to move in/out but ill leave that to an expert to tell me otherwise.

From this thread i found https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...haft-play.html , it seems to be a similar issue; mine does not seem to move that much in and out; but i did not remove the gear box cap and cap screw attached to the auger shaft under the cap.

Would next step be to remove the auger cap and make sure the cap screw is tight? Any guidance is appreicated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-03-2018, 11:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by addisonm06 View Post
Hello All! Im new to the forum and would love some assistance! I consider myself mechanically inclined, but not so much with snowblower and gear boxes.

I inherited a John Deere 826 from my father that needs a bit of work. When the auger is engaged, the auger pulley is moving in/out of the auger housing. You can visually see the pulley moving and you can also see from the auger that it is moving in and out.

I have split the motor and the auger house to ensure that the auger bearing behind the auger housing is not damaged. The auger bearing/bushing both look in great shape. The issue is also that the auger shaft/pulley is moving in/out and not side to side play or up and down as would be expected from bearing/bushing wear from the auger bearing.

If i grab the auger shaft and pull in/out, i notice that the shaft moves slightly from the gear box. I dont believe the shaft is supposed to move in/out but ill leave that to an expert to tell me otherwise.

From this thread i found https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...haft-play.html , it seems to be a similar issue; mine does not seem to move that much in and out; but i did not remove the gear box cap and cap screw attached to the auger shaft under the cap.

Would next step be to remove the auger cap and make sure the cap screw is tight? Any guidance is appreicated!
There is always going to be play when grabbing the auger shaft from the gear box. that is the backlash from the gears mating in there. I am going to need a pic or 2 so I can have a looksee at the other thing you are talking aboot here. Anyhoo, ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 28 Old 12-03-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi POWERSHIFT93! is there a way to attach a local video i recorded?
post #4 of 28 Old 12-03-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Attached are a few photos of the auger pulley. Under auger operation, that pulley is moving in/out. Hopefully the images help a bit

I do have a video of the pulley under operation moving in/out but i cannot seem to attach it here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7474.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	149511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7475.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	149513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7479.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	149515  
post #5 of 28 Old 12-03-2018, 01:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Attached are a few photos of the auger pulley. Under auger operation, that pulley is moving in/out. Hopefully the images help a bit

I do have a video of the pulley under operation moving in/out but i cannot seem to attach it here.
u cant attach videos in a forum but u can
upload vid to utube then post a link to that vid in a post

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #6 of 28 Old 12-03-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Vinny! I kind of figured that out If only i had a youtube account... lol
post #7 of 28 Old 12-03-2018, 03:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Thanks Vinny! I kind of figured that out If only i had a youtube account... lol
just setup up a google gmail account, easy, that will be your youtube account....or upload vid to gdrive

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #8 of 28 Old 12-03-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Should be able to view the video here. Hopefully this helps
post #9 of 28 Old 12-03-2018, 04:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
i think u have a bent auger shaft, either the left or right one or both, dont think its your impeller shaft thats bent

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #10 of 28 Old 12-03-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Would a bent auger shaft cause the impeller pulley to push in and out like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page