Thinking buying Husky 3/8" cordless ratchet, 34 socket, case, lithium battery $79 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-07-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 421
Garage
Thinking buying Husky 3/8" cordless ratchet, 34 socket, case, lithium battery $79

I'm thinking of buying this tomorrow. Why? I have a lot of bolts to remove to replace the auger belting on a Honda single stage. I thought it would make it easier and faster besides using it for other things.

Husky 3/8" cordless ratchet
12-Volt Lithium-Ion 3/8 in. Drive Cordless Ratchet W/ 34 Piece Socket Set, Battery, Charger, and Carrying Case

The price is right, $79, you get the 3/8" cordless ratchet, charger, and case with 34 sockets, SAE & Metric, short and deep sockets. 2 year warranty

For the occasional user, backyard mechanic, DIY, seems to be a better buy than the Milwaukee M12 for twice the money.

Husky
12-Volt Lithium-Ion 3/8 in. Drive Cordless Ratchet W/ 34 Piece Socket Set, Battery, Charger, and Carrying Case

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12...rdless%7D%3Aqu

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-07-2018, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 522
Thanks (Received): 690
Likes (Given): 3912
Likes (Received): 1505
Garage
Looks interesting. 8 reviews and all 5 star.

If you get it please use it for a week or two and let us know what you think of it.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 89
You appear to be a little more than a back-yard or occasional tool user. And while i can not specifically speak on the quality OR longevity of the Husky Branded tool, I will say that the Milwaukee is a much better tool. Has great torque and speed at a reasonable price. Coupled with the fact that once you buy into the 'system', you can expand the tool line-up, by purchasing the tool only and swapping batteries. I get the extended life batteries. I hammer my cordless tools daily. Batteries last years. And I have multiples of each tool..... 1/4" impact shaft drive, ratchet and impact gun. As well as the 3/8" tools and impact line-up. Make snowblower repair that much more fun and profitable. Don't forget about the Milwaukee Battery powered Jackets and Hoodies.....A must have !!!!

Disclosure: I do not work for Milwaukee, nor receive compensation for them. I'm a tool Junkie and support ALL the name Brand tools.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 132619, Toro-8-2-4 liked this post
post #4 of 21 Old 12-07-2018, 08:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
That's interesting, I wasn't familiar with these. At 30 ft-lbs, the torque seems a bit low to me, but I guess depending on what you're working with, maybe that doesn't matter? It sounds like you can apply up to 150 ft-lbs if you shut off the motor, and use your arm. So maybe to break loose a tight item, or finish torquing something, you could do that manually, while using the motor to spin the item the rest of the way?

Versus a cordless impact driver, is the main benefit the ability to fit down into small areas, like a normal ratchet? An impact driver would have more torque, but of course requires more-direct access to the fastener you're working on.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 21 Old 12-08-2018, 02:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 19
FYI, they are now $49.00 I may have to get one for that price
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks JLawrence08648 thanked for this post
Likes Toro-8-2-4, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #6 of 21 Old 12-08-2018, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
I have a similar tool. I find the low torque is nice for working with the small fasteners usually found on blowers. It's too easy to strip them out when they're screwed into sheet metal. The right angle end is easier to get into tight spaces too.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-08-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 421
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toms View Post
FYI, they are now $49.00 I may have to get one for that price
I bought it today for $79! I'm bringing back the receipt. Thanks for the update.

I used it to day to remove the rubber auger from a single stage, 24 bolts. It did a great job, saved me a lot of time. It tighten to the perfect tightness that I did not have to turn it with the ratchet.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #8 of 21 Old 12-08-2018, 08:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Cordless is way easier to just grab-n-go, of course. But I have a cheapie Harbor Freight pneumatic air ratchet. I should use it more often. Of course, dealing with the noisy compressor, and waiting 5-10 minutes for it to charge, is not as nice as just grabbing a cordless version.

Quality tools do certainly offer benefits. A friend recently bought a Milwaukee M12 drill and cordless impact. Despite it being 12V, he said it took off his car's lugnuts without trouble. By contrast, I have a Craftsman cordless impact, originally 18V, now modified to 22V lithium. They claim about 130 ft-lbs, but even with the upgraded battery, it was unable to take off any lugnuts on the 2 cars I tried it with. Then my bought-heavily-used pneumatic Ingersoll-Rand 2130 took them off effortlessly, when my compressor had only charged to maybe 60-70 psi.

The wise thing for me to do would probably be to pony up for some decent Milwaukee/DeWalt/whatever versions of some of these tools. "Buy once, cry once." Oh well, for now, I have my assortment of stuff, one of which will usually get the job done.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #9 of 21 Old 12-08-2018, 09:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 112
Likes (Received): 76
For $49 you can't go too wrong. I would just see what the replacement batteries cost may be. that is usually the straw that breaks the camels back. I have scrapped a few chordless tools when the batteries went because of cost.

I too have the the Milwaukee M12 chordless ratchet. Rated at 35 Ft. Lbs. So far I love it. For small engines and ODPE the torque is fine. Most all of the bolts I use it on are 3/8 (M10) and smaller. It is more about the time saved and the stress it takes off of your wrists if you have a bunch of screws to remove. If the screws are tight you can usually free them up with one manual push and then use the power of the motor to remove. I also have a 1/4" impact I use to use, but now I pretty much only use this. The Rt. Angle and low profile allow me to use it in more places. The battery life is good and it works well in the cold. My only gripe so far is that the LED light is not directed on to the bolt if you use a deep socket or an extension. The light is a big help in some cases. It was $120 on a Black Friday sale. I would have tried this Huskey for $49 if it was there at the time. Mil$waukee has a newer version of this that is about 55 ft. Lbs and has a bit longer reach and maintains a low profile. They are selling it as having better access. Of course it is more $. If you spin wrenches all day it is probably worth paying up for it.

Good Luck with it.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
post #10 of 21 Old 12-08-2018, 09:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro-8-2-4 View Post
For $49 you can't go too wrong. I would just see what the replacement batteries cost may be. that is usually the straw that breaks the camels back. I have scrapped a few chordless tools when the batteries went because of cost.

I too have the the Milwaukee M12 chordless ratchet. Rated at 35 Ft. Lbs. So far I love it. For small engines and ODPE the torque is fine.

From what I see, the Husky battery is built-in. So it's probably not something that most people would consider replaceable.

Thanks for the info on yours! That does sound pretty cool. I don't do enough of this to really justify one, but it does sound like a nice thing to have available.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page