LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-14-2018, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 1
Angry need information

Hello all. I am brand new I have never had or used a snow blower in my life. so I figured I would buy a used 1 to ease into it so in case I hit something or screw it up I'm only out short money and can then buy a better 1 (kinda like u buy your first car used when u first get your license!!) so I buy a used Craftsman Thru craigslist which I am skeptical of, and I go to see it.... it runs impeller turns everything seems to work fine...…….I get it home 1st small storm happens and it works (although not great) and I get about 75 yards of what I would consider a light 3 inches of snow and all of a sudden it stalls. so I am a little bit irritated at this point...I get it started again and it goes for 2 ft stalls again start 2 ft stalls then just stops starting.....HMMMM so a neighbor of mine takes it gets it running again brings it back after letting it run for 15 mins and I try again and same thing it seems to run without a load in it as soon as it gets warmed up to where it should be running good it starts to stall and then wont start... I have no idea about this and am aggravated to say the least does anyone have any suggestions about what it could be?? the spark plug is new, new oil, fresh gas but just will not stay running once the snow starts going thru it!!! please help any info at all will be great and thanks for letting me join
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-14-2018, 06:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 206
I would start with checking your gas cap to see it it is venting properly. If it isn't, the engine will starve for fuel and quit.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Getch357 thanked for this post
Likes Getch357 liked this post
post #3 of 9 Old 12-14-2018, 09:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
The gas cap suggestion is a good one. Caps should be vented, so they allow air into the tank. If the cap is plugged, air can't get in, so as you use the fuel in the tank, you start to create a vacuum. Eventually, no gas can exit the tank, due to the vacuum.

If this is your problem, once it stalls, and won't start, remove the gas cap completely (listen for a rush of air, as a clue), and reinstall it. Then see if the engine will restart. If it suddenly starts again, your cap is the problem. As a short-term fix, you can run with the gas cap loose, until you can replace/fix the cap.

If it will run indefinitely, but dies when you put a load on it (get into the snow), you might have a clogged high-speed carburetor jet. You could clean the carb, but replacement carbs can be around $15 on Amazon/eBay, and that's an easy, moderately-priced fix, if you don't want to disassemble the carb.

But check the gas cap stuff first.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Getch357, 132619 liked this post
post #4 of 9 Old 12-14-2018, 10:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 638
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 948
Likes (Received): 1028
Garage
classic clogged vent gas cap symptom.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #5 of 9 Old 12-14-2018, 12:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 10
Garage
Hopefully its just a bad gas cap that's not venting, or the carb needs a slight adjustment if its adjustable. Those are cheap quick fixes. However if that doesn't fix it it may need a valve job and the worst it could be is poor compression. If its poor compression it needs to be rebuilt.
I had a friend who purchased a little 5 hp 24 wide snowblower, it started and ran fine. When we finally got snow, he went to throw snow with it and as soon as the augers touched the snow, the engine would fall on its face and die. Long story short, he took it to have it diagnosed and it turned out the engine was shot, it needed a total rebuild or replace. It had enough compression to start and run but not enough to run under load. But hopefully yours is one of the minor problems. Try each fix and work your way up until you find your issue, good luck!

1983 Simplicity 870
post #6 of 9 Old 12-14-2018, 02:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 14
My neighbor had the same problem. When I took off the gas cap I noticed the rubber inside the cap was missing. After looking inside the tank, I saw it. It was covering the fuel outlet inside the tank. Removed it and it runs fine.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-15-2018, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Cool thanks all!!

Thank you to all who took time to reply....I never thought about the cap being a problem I will check out these suggestions as soon as we get some snow!! and hopefully its not the engine needing to be rebuilt. this is why im sooo skeptical to buy anything used anymore and especially off craigslist!! it seems people throw their old broken junk on there to sell it off to some sucker....where is the sense of dignity that our society use to have?? anyways thank you all for your generous help!!
post #8 of 9 Old 12-15-2018, 08:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 206
I would suggest testing it before the snow, so you don't feel pressured to fix it with 2 ft. of snow looking you in the eyes.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-15-2018, 08:55 AM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 128
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getch357 View Post
Thank you to all who took time to reply....I never thought about the cap being a problem I will check out these suggestions as soon as we get some snow!! and hopefully its not the engine needing to be rebuilt. this is why im sooo skeptical to buy anything used anymore and especially off craigslist!! it seems people throw their old broken junk on there to sell it off to some sucker....where is the sense of dignity that our society use to have?? anyways thank you all for your generous help!!

Its ok to be skeptical but that skepticism can be overcome if one does thorough research. The same research you'd do to hunt a good deal on a new item can be focused towards getting antiquated with a used item before hand. My first Honda snowblower was bought with a budget that only allowed for a used craftsman but I had done my research and knew what I was looking for, a good deal came up and I jumped on it, the whole thing was still a learning experience as I was able to learn a lot from it.

If done right you can get a very good deal on an a piece of equipment that may not be in your budget if bought new. Also, its ok to fix something thats broken or needs some TLC, I hate how we have become such a "Throwaway" society where folks throw away good stuff that needs some love to buy POS new stuff thats made to last only a few years or till the warranty runs out.

The internet is a great tool to find help maintaining old equipment and getting to know it so it wouldnt let you down when needed the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page