LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Handle problem

I have an older yard machine snow blower and it still runs well but the circle handle bolt looks like it is stripped on both sides. Any suggestions on how to fix?Handle problem-610e2d85-cd3e-4cde-a1da-c6ce358537fc_1546180301600.jpeg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 11:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
I have a set of these, they work great for this: (and to remove locking wheel lugs that you lost the key to)

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-p...9165d68366fa43

Looks like you're going to have to buy a tool, a handy one at that, and then I'd get a piece of steel and weld/bolt/rivet it to that other surface (paint it so it doesn't rust) and re-drill the hole since the hole is now oblong.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the advice
post #4 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 11:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I don't know how much room you have in there, looks like the inside of the gearbox, but if you have a cut off wheel, or small reciprocating saw you may be able to cut it off. There's also "nut splitters" if you can get one up there.

But I like the first tool the best, works for nuts and bolts, and has never failed me.

Maybe just cut the bolt from the other side, and replace the bolt. Is it loose enough that you can get a hacksaw blade in there?

Did you try vice grips or large pliers? Ones with curved jaws? (probably how it got that way in the first place).

Last edited by jsup; 12-30-2018 at 11:32 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I tried pliers and vice grips but couldn’t budge it. Not enough room for hacksaw. might have to use that splitter or other one you recommended. But I also don’t have a welder to put new steel plate in either, could I put new bolts through with washers if I get it out of there?
post #6 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 12:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Getting the nut out is a minor problem. It's not really that big of a deal. Did you soak it with penetrating oil? Liquid Wrench or something like that, not WD 40, that's not penetrating oil.

The bigger issue is getting that hole right before it gets too big to fix. You could bolt a plate on, but welding is your best choice, I bet a local welder wouldn't charge more than a couple bucks to weld in a plate. I don't weld either, one of the things I never tried/learned. I'm getting too old to learn.

If you can't get it welded, yes, bolting is a good alternative. I'd drill and tap a plate, then loc-tite it with red loc-tite. I like that better than nuts and bolts. Something small like a 10-32 thread. In addition, as an alternative to welding, when you screw the plate down, use some epoxy between the pieces.

The plate can be small, looks like 2 inches square would do it. 1/4 inch thick, so you can tap it and get some bite on it. I'm sure a local welder has scrap laying around for something like that.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks again for the ideas. I will give it a try and see if a local welder can help as well.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 02:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
It's hard to give advice when you don't know a person's mechanical ability and tool set. I hope some of these ideas help. A number of different ways to skin a cat. I mistakenly started with an assumption of how I would address it, given my tool set and how easy it is to do that way.

I gave a few options after I thought about that for a while. Hack-sawing the bolt would be a simple way too.

Good luck.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 03:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
What exactly is this bolt doing?

To remove it, if you have a Dremel, you could maybe use that from the inside of the frame (where your pic shows). A cutoff wheel might let you "shave" off the side of that sleeve. Once you'd broken the solid sleeve of that piece, it should come loose more easily (pliers on the sleeve to hold it, and unscrew the bolt from it). Or you could run the cutoff wheel down the middle of the bolt itself, and split the sleeve into 2 pieces.

But what is this holding, and what does it go through? Is it holding a tubular handle to something? I'm pretty sure I've seen curved pieces that go up against tubular handles, to help secure them on lawn mowers, etc. Perhaps you could get something like that to put against the outside of the handle, vs a flat plate. But without a little more context, via pictures, I'm not quite sure what this fastener is holding, or how.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 04:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I'm 99% sure it's the bottom bolt on the tubular handle. Where it goes from round to flat. That's what it looks like to me, and what I ran with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page