Ariens Deluxe 28" - Oil leak while in service position from stem and not cap - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-01-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Question Ariens Deluxe 28" - Oil leak while in service position from stem and not cap

Hi,

I have a 2015 Ariens Deluxe 28", and this year after changing the oil and putting it into the service position to lube the gearbox, I realized I was out of lubricant so I decided to leave it in the service position until I could get a new lubricant cartridge (since the gearbox was already open and the wheels were removed). Due to the holidays, I had to leave it in that position for ~2 days.

Today I discovered a puddle of clean oil underneath it, while it was still in the service position.
From what I can tell, it did not leak from the yellow oil cap (that was closed well). It seems to be leaking from where the oil stem attaches - see image, red arrow (also attached here): https://ibb.co/j5cpjwz

I checked the oil dipstick after wiping it and it was completely dry so clearly all of it leaked out.
Before changing the oil, there were no leaks all summer, and I had also checked the used oil with the dipstick and it was at the proper place (same place as always with 20oz of oil for a 254cc).

Assuming leaving it in the service position for a long time caused this, but wondering why that would happen/is that normal? The manual does not tell you to empty the oil (only the gas), and for the previous 3 years I've place it in the service position with oil without any issues -- but to be fair I've never left it that way for more than an hour or two.

By the way, just discovered and registered to the forums, so please let me know if this is not the right place to post this -- wasn't sure if "Snowblower Repairs and Maintenance Forum" would be a better place.

Thanks!

Thread Summary for anyone visiting this later on:

1.) Called Ariens and here's what they told me:

** It is fully expected and normal for the oil to leak out if it's in the service position for more than a couple of hours.
They said in fact, it sometimes happens when they ship them brand new.
I specifically asked them about the o-ring, and while they offered to send a free one, they said they are positive that this is not the problem.

** They claim the snowblowers should not be stored in the service position for longer than while you are "working on them" with oil inside, and even then they suggest having it empties at least half way (ideally fully).

** They said it will also leak out of it was overfilled - in my case this is not applicable since it calls for 20oz, and it definitely did not have more than 20oz.

2.) Also, it turns out not all of it had leaked out. When I emptied the remainder and measured it, it turned out about 8oz had leaked out. Just over time it had made a very wide puddle.

3.) I followed the advise here to unscrew the oil fill stem and re-seat the oil fill tube + the o-ring. Not sure if that helped or not. I did place it in the service position for ~15 minutes after I re-filled it and nothing leaked out, but that was the case before hand too.

In summary: empty the oil (unrelated, and gas!) before you place it in the service position (at least half way per Ariens, but they do recommend fully), and don't leave your snow blower in the service position for more than a couple of hours.

Hope others find this useful/helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wet-with-oil-in-service-position-after-2-days.png
Views:	107
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	150785  

Last edited by ventz; 01-09-2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: updated with summary of solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-01-2019, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3831
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
to SBF ventz

Most have a rubber O ring to seal it. It isn't very old being a 2015 but it might still not be sealing as it should.
You can remove the tube and take the O ring and tube to hardware, big box or auto parts store as most have an assortment of O rings. Auto parts store you just need to ask at the counter not the multi size variety pack out on the floor.

I'm sure there is a spec for it but I don't know what it is.
Repair and Maint would have been good as it's not really Ariens specific but ....

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ventz thanked for this post
Likes Ian Ariens 924 liked this post
post #3 of 21 Old 01-01-2019, 06:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
Welcome to SBF, ventz
Honestly, I wouldn't be overly concerned if it was just a small amount and it took over 2 days.
Happy new year.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 21 Old 01-01-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys.

@Kiss4aFrog - i'll give it a try. It might be worth checking the o-ring anyway just in case it has gone bad/was bad in the first place.

@micah68kj - my only concern is that it looks like all of the oil (~20oz) leaked out over the 2 days.

This really surprised me and I kind of want to re-test it by refilling it and leaving it again in the service position but this time checking it every few hours, but at the same time I don't want to waste another quart of oil and have to clean it up again.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-01-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update: removed the "high oil-fill tube/dipstick" (apparently that's the official name for the part ) and checked the o-ring. It seems perfectly fine and it looks brand new actually.
However, it definitely was leaking from there. since it was slightly wet on both sides.

I think to @micah68kj's point -- it might have been a very small amount, but factor that over 2+ days and it added up.

I reached out to Ariens to get their thoughts too. Also, if anyone has any other info, would love to hear about it.

I'll post an update here once I hear back from Ariens.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-02-2019, 07:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
Hmm.. I didn't completely read your post and thought it read 2oz that had leaked out. However, I still would not be overly concerned. With the blower sitting in its working position, resting on the tires and skids, the engine oil doesn't reach the level of the O -ring and when the engine is running the oil is not under preessure. I really doubt there would be a noticeable leak in that area. I'm with Mark. Stick another o ring on it. Done and done.
I had an engine that seeped oil from that area. It was a Tec engine. I remember bending the arm where the retaining screw goes and it stopped seeping. Just made the fit a little bit more snug.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #7 of 21 Old 01-02-2019, 07:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 153
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 540
I store blowers for sale in the service position all summer and fall as they take up much less room. All of them that have the filler tube and O ring leak....
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 132619 liked this post
post #8 of 21 Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 256
I'd try this: unscrew the tube and as much as possible, clean the oil off the threads of the tube and the engine block. Put a liberal amount of RTV on the tube threads, reinstall the tube, and don't move or use the machine long enough for the RTV to cure (~24 hours).

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-02-2019, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 167
Likely an older engine than what is being discussed here, but I have had old L head Tecs dribble oil out the breather if left in service position too long as well.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-02-2019, 11:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Likely an older engine than what is being discussed here, but I have had old L head Tecs dribble oil out the breather if left in service position too long as well.
2015 ariens with a LCT engine,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page