I know this stuff in my yard, lose it on here - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-01-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 420
Garage
I know this stuff in my yard, lose it on here

I give suggestions on here, others fill in with other suggestions. I know those suggestions given by others and repair tips!!! And I feel I'm losing it because on here I don't think about them to give them. When I have the snowblower in my yard, in front of me, all these suggestions everyone gives, I know them, well, most of them, sorry. When the machine is in front of me, I go through it, I'm very methodical, because I'm mechanical, I know what makes it tick, I can fix it, or I can figure it out, I know what I need to look at first to track down the problem. Fixing a problem is a progression. So I'm kicking myself (I'm very flexible) for not thinking of those things that others suggested. But only on here, not in my yard, here I still feel I have it. At age 67, you start questioning things, like going in the garage, back yard, in the house, to the supermarket, for two things, coming back with one, turning around to get the other "thang".

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4, jrom, 132619, Kiss4aFrog, Mike C. liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-01-2019, 10:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 267
Likes (Received): 145
Garage
You are very valuable to this forum and clearly have significant mechanical abilities. I appreciate your writings here and have learned a lot from you.
Thanks!

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks JLawrence08648 thanked for this post
Likes Mike C. liked this post
post #3 of 25 Old 01-01-2019, 11:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 701
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 1192
Likes (Received): 1198
Garage
I'm the same.

That's why I write everything down including the progression on tackling a problem on a blower even though i have done it dozens of times.

I once had a stalled engine and spent an hour looking at everything except in the gas tank to see if there was gas.

I write that down haha "CHECK GAS"

I want to be doing this into my nineties.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 132619, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 01:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 187
Garage
As I got older...... ( Cough )

My smart phone is my best friend!!

I made a file in my " Notes " that i write " Stuff " down into it. Then i always have it for reference, also you can take pixx to refresh your memory. And it's easy to share with others quickly. Works for me.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 32" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr liked this post
post #5 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 06:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 115
J
if you think at 67 your slipping,WAIT till those 6'es become 7's ,yep looking down at 72 this year, i can remember about the times at woodstock aug 1969 but not much of what happened "yesterdayish" i know how, i think !
post #6 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 09:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 29
You're not "losing it", it's a transformation. You are so experienced that you don't need books anymore except for specs. You already know what is wrong without troubleshooting. So you skip over the steps leading up to the problem. They are second nature.
I help out 2 older guys on both ends of the spectrum. My Dad is 88, always did things for himself without asking for help. Now he needs my help, but don't know how to explain to me how to get though a project he wants me to complete.
The other is 77, a retired Millwright lead. You might know how to complete a project for him, but he wants you to sit down with him for 2 hours so he can explain every little detail to you. He can almost put you to sleep before even starting the project.
You are valuable more for the lesser experienced, with tricks of the trade. Just maybe not so much for the ones that are newer DIYers.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #7 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 09:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
That's exactly the reason WHY I post three or four follow ups. I think it happens to all of us.

Someone posts a problem, I say "here's a solution", then later I think and say "wait, here's another idea, and another". You have a solid 18 years on me, and you're in far better shape than I am, don't sweat it. I can't remember anything on the fly anymore, and it's frustrating because I used to be really quick with stuff. It's called, GETTING OLD! If you find a cure, let me know.

When something is on the lift in front of me, and my tools are at hand, it's so much easier to come up with solutions than to think esoterically about what should be done on paper.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #8 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 09:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 29
It's also not easy to explain to the lesser experienced how to go through a process when they don't yet have the tools at hand to make the job easier. It's not easy to repair many things with only basic tools.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jsup, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #9 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 10:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
I'm the same.

That's why I write everything down including the progression on tackling a problem on a blower even though i have done it dozens of times.

I once had a stalled engine and spent an hour looking at everything except in the gas tank to see if there was gas.

I write that down haha "CHECK GAS"

I want to be doing this into my nineties.

I've done the same thing. TWICE. I was just making up a check list when I read this.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 420
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
That's exactly the reason WHY I post three or four follow ups. I think it happens to all of us.

Someone posts a problem, I say "here's a solution", then later I think and say "wait, here's another idea, and another". You have a solid 18 years on me, and you're in far better shape than I am, don't sweat it. I can't remember anything on the fly anymore, and it's frustrating because I used to be really quick with stuff. It's called, GETTING OLD! If you find a cure, let me know.

When something is on the lift in front of me, and my tools are at hand, it's so much easier to come up with solutions than to think esoterically about what should be done on paper.
Thanks. My thoughts exactly, and same. I post a solution on here then think about another solution, then another, and have follow-ups. I use to be really quick with things, now there are times I like to sit back, do something else, and think about solutions to come up with the best. And same as you when something is in front of me, it's much easier to come up with a solution.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page