LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Ignition Module on HSSK 50

I'm putting one in tomorrow. I'm doing this because there is no spark plug wire on a machine I got free, and it only comes with the module.

First time doing this. Looks straight forward, nothing really tricky. Anything out of the ordinary about this I should know about? Seems it's just taking the shroud off and screwing in the new one, then checking clearance.

Is it any more than that? Any nuance? Anyone have the clearance handy? If not I'll look it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-07-2019, 09:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 40
Here is a friendly warning with ignitions. Today's HV ignition transformers (coils) suck!!!! They are badly designed and poorly constructed. So BE CAREFUL to make SURE that a spark plug is connected to the ignition transformer and that the body of the spark plug is GROUNDED to the engine. The can be done with a jumper cable from the plug body to the engine frame or have someone hold the body of the plug to the engine frame.

I'll describe the problem. An ignition system can generate a high voltage spike upwards to easily exceed 60-70KV without a plug connected. And if it does, it may only do it ONCE! The transformers are not designed to sustain these voltage levels and there is HIGH risk that there will be an internal arc. Once the transformer suffers an internal arc, it usually becomes junk.

OK, back the the spark plug. These things are usually gapped around 0.02'' or so and will limit how high the transformer's HV can soar to around 25KV. And if you doubt these things have a high failure rate, check Ebay for them where I just checked for Honda spark (coils) transformers and found 3,641 results.

Why do you think there are so many for sale if they never fail?

Last edited by foggysail; 01-07-2019 at 09:13 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The wider the gap, the higher the voltage. So I'll take it as small as possible. .02 is easy enough. I have a full compliment of feeler gauges. I have a tool that measures the strength of the spark, when I get it set up, if it's over what? 35K should I re-adjust it? What do you feel is "acceptable" range?

As far as the spark plug goes, I have a spark tester, so not an issue.

Last edited by jsup; 01-07-2019 at 09:39 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 40
You don't have the means to measure that voltage. It will require a high voltage oscilloscope probe along with a decent oscilloscope for a proper measurement. My guess however is most of the coils/transformers on the market will have no problem with 35KV or even operating with a plug gap of about .03. Just remember, the greater the gap the greater risk of a failure.

I got sick and tired of changing the %^&*( things on a Honda 7.5HP engine on a gasoline powered compressor that I gave the compressor away. I had one of those sucker fail when I was turning over the flywheel checking spark in a plug that slipped off the engine.........yeah.....I did get a spark, ONE SPARK and that was it.

These coils are not anything like most coils found in vehicles. Those are really designed for high voltages and most are oil filled.

ONe last comment, it did not seem to matter to me whether the coil/transformer was a cheapie from Ebay or the $45 Honda replacement. Both failed

Last edited by foggysail; 01-08-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-08-2019, 10:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 115
it's .013 .i tend to stay at 010 on every ope engine and never had any issues

Check the air gap between the flywheel magnets and
the laminations of an externally mounted coil or
module. It should be .0125 (.317 mm)
check your email john sent you the shop manual
post #6 of 8 Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-08-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 woodie View Post
it's .013 .i tend to stay at 010 on every ope engine and never had any issues

Check the air gap between the flywheel magnets and
the laminations of an externally mounted coil or
module. It should be .0125 (.317 mm)
check your email john sent you the shop manual

That's what I was talking about, the gap between the magnets and laminations. Not spark plug.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
You don't have the means to measure that voltage. It will require a high voltage oscilloscope probe along with a decent oscilloscope for a proper measurement.
Ummm.... you don't know that. My dad is an EE with two masters. I have access to all kinds of scopes, electronic measurement tools, etc. HOWEVER, I won't need to do that because I have this:
https://gtc.ca/Products/TA100.html

New technology negates all that stuff.

I'd think you'd be surprised how many, what kind, of tools are in my shed. Even single use tools.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page