LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-09-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Repower Help....Tech to B&S

So I got a machine that has a good body, free. And I have a landscaper that has a machine with a good engine, and a beat to death body. It's a backup machine. So I asked him if he wanted to do an engine swap. The old engine was a 5HP tech, the new engine, off another machine, is a 6.5 Briggs.

Well, I didn't expect it to be smooth, as I have done this before, however, I didn't expect it to be a big hassle either.

Here's the problem. The Tecumseh that was on there is a "dual pulley" or whatever the technical right name is. And for those of you who have done it, know where I'm going. The pulleys don't line up.

Now, this is not something unexpected, but I didn't expect it to be this kind of Tecumseh engine. If anyone has done this, can I get some suggestions? I'm looking for a new pully set as we speak. The auger pulley lines up perfectly, the drive pulley needs to come in about .750 or so.

If you have done something similar, and know which pulley to use, please let me know.

Also, I think someone was recently looking for a one of these Tecumseh engines, if you were, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-09-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
ok, so here's what I did.

With a straight edge, caliper, and level in hand, I went out to measure how far out the pulleys were.

The transmission pulley was .250 off in one direction, away from the motor, needing to come closer.

The auger pulley was of .250 in the other direction, toward the motor, not far enough out.

The pulley has enough on it, .400, that I can take off .300 without a problem, so that's what I am having done at a local machine shop.

But that would move the other pulley in .300. So now the auger pulley will be .550 or so too far in.

So I am having them cut the pulley in 1/2 just after the stamped in key. So now the back pulley will line up just fine. I had it cut a little bigger, .300 instead of .250 because I can always put a washer/spacer behind it if it's off.

Now the pulley is cut in 1/2, I'm having a keyway put in the front pulley, to lock that down.

And finally, to make up that .500 space, I'm just doing to do a spacer between the two pullies. I'll over size the length of the spacer a bit, so I have the option of taking some off if it's not enough.

Problem SHOULD be solved.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes guybb3 liked this post
post #3 of 3 Old 01-10-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK, so looking at this, it's not so simple. The shaft on the new engine is about .500-.750 inch shorter. So, here's what I'm going to do.

I'm going to make a spacer for whatever distance it is, put a keyway in it, and use a long key that spans the spacer, and the old shaft

Get longer bolt, and bolt it all together.

Should be fine. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page