LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Simplicity L1528E Auger Gearbox

Does anyone knnow where to get gears for a simplicity L1528E? There was a small pin on what appears o be a spacer that seems to have fallen out and chewed up the brass gear. The worm gear seems to be a pressed onto the shaft, I don't know why this part even needs to be pinned. If it wasn't pinned there is a chance the spacer would wear on the worm gear instead of the brass bushing. Seems like Simplicity will only sell the whole gearbox for over $500 CAD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gearbox.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	151261  

2011 Simplicity 1528E
BinFord 6100 1826 (Formerly WedgeFeild 1026)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 12:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
looks like an off the shelf roll pin.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The original was a solid dowel pin(that file tested pretty hard)with a little grove in it,but I think I'll try a roll pin cause I don't have any dowels. Now I'm left with this in the driveway(see picture).
I think I should get a new gear, but don't know where to find one. I may try to put it back together as is and see what happens.
Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190110_003320.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	151263   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNOW01.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	151265  

2011 Simplicity 1528E
post #4 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 02:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
was the goove for oiling or is it for a key?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The groove pin is just a different type of press fit pin, like a roll pin, from what I read it is suppose to have better retention and shear strength. There was actually 3 groove 120 apart around the pin. I found a breakdown of the gearbox and the part that is pinned is a thrust collar. I assumed that they would be using the flanged bronze bushings to handle the thrust, but apparently not. I smashed a regular roll pin in the and am going to try and re-assemble it to night with the original worm gear. Hopefully the steel worm will be able to chew the brass gear one back into shape. The worm is keyed, but also seems to be pressed on.
Hawker

2011 Simplicity 1528E

Last edited by hawkerxj; 01-11-2019 at 10:18 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-14-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So I re-assembled it with the original gear and spun the impeller by hand to see if it go all the way around without binding up. There were a couple rough spots but it was able to make full rotations. So since I still had 18" of snow covering half the driveway I took it out for a test and it works well again. I think I'll change the oil in the gearbox to try and get some of the chewed brass out, but then run it as is. On to the next issue of the chute rotator motor freezing up, but I'll start a new thread for that.

2011 Simplicity 1528E
post #7 of 9 Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
There is mucho fore and aft force on the impeller shaft which the solid dowel pin in spacer absorbs. That hollow spring pin aint gonna cut it for long. Has that gearbox been worked on previously? There appears to be a thrust washer missing which goes between worm and front bushing and is the reason why that shaft has likely too much play and misalignment of worm and wheel.

Last edited by DriverRider; 01-14-2019 at 09:20 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-15-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
We'll find out I guess. The roll pin I used is rated for 4150lbs in double shear, which is stronger that the the low carbon slotted pins but not as strong as as the allow pins. The file wouldn't skate on the original pin, but it seem a bit harder than some 44w I had laying around. I have done all the work on this blower since new, this is the first time the gear box has been apart. There is the thrust washer you mention, but I forgot to put in in there when I loosely assembled it for the picture. There are also thrust washers on either side of the worm gear, but they were in the parts washer getting cleaned up at the time. It did not appear that the pin sheared due to excessive force on the auger, but due to falling out and jamming up against the side of the gear case, as there was a dent on the case and loose pieces of pin in the oil when I pulled it apart. I think if it sheared due to excessive fore on the auger system, it should have still been retained in the shaft/thrust collar. Also, it should have broke the shear pins on the augers, if there was too much force on them. The pin was in 3 pieces and one was lodge in the worm, which I believe cause the damage to the worm gear.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a new Yamaha blower anyway, but a 10 cent roll pin won't cut it. Hopefully you're right, the pin breaks and grenades that rest of the gearbox, then I can justify the Yamaha. I just hope its not during a 20" storm like the last one.
Hawker
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pins.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	151599  

2011 Simplicity 1528E
post #9 of 9 Old 01-15-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
DriverRider, Do you ever have any issues with your chute motors freezing up? I loved them the first year but after that the deflector would freeze up so much that I took it off permanently. The rotator freezes up so often now that I tore it apart yesterday to find it full of ice.

2011 Simplicity 1528E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page