Craftsman single stage / updated for any surface - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-11-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
Craftsman single stage / updated for any surface

I have an old craftsman 5hp 21" auger drive single stage blower w/ plastic bucket that I would try to use for light clean up, however the areas where I needed it , had various surfaces, grass (not nice grass) dirt, gravel, and concrete with uneven cracks. Auger drive you had to lift on the handle to let it propel forward and it really picked up a lot of debris of the above mentioned items as well if you tried to just push it forward it snagged and dug in.
I know that they were designed for flat solid surfaces, however it was free and I do not like to shovel and even trying to use a shovel in these areas was bad. I did not like having to lift to move it forward or tip it back.
This is a very rural setting (the sticks) Here is what I did I removed the plastic cutting edge (drilled out rivets) then took 1" sch. 40 grey pipe cut length wise in half attached that to the bottom where the cutter edge was, then took a piece for each side and used a propane torch and electric heat gun to heat the pipe and when hot enough shaped it and formed it to the bottom of each side and attached with small screws. The result is better than I anticipated.
Now I can just push it ( with very little effort) it cleared every surface did not snag on anything it is not wearing the the auger rubber as it is not in contact with surface and leaves less than a 1/4" of snow. The last storm we got about 5" of snow and I had no problems at all, it pushed easier than my wheeled push mower, and I actually used it in places I would normally run my Ariens 28 Dlx just because of the bad surfaces.
This may not be for everyone but I am sure that there are others that could benefit.
I have a simplicity SS922ex that I picked up at a moving sale this fall 2018 for $40.00 owner purchased it in 2015 from a simplicity dealer, and still had tags on it never saw snow, original receipt with setup was $793.00 I am going to add poly adjustable skid shoes to it as it has a metal bucket and something to mount them to.

Last edited by Lottstodo; 01-11-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: paragraphs
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-11-2019, 03:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
can u separate it into paragraphs for easier reading

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 01-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
For your purposes I think it's a great idea. Thinking outside the box.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page