LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 113
SCORE ! Ariens Teardrop bucket

A guy pulls in a while I'm eating lunch comes to the door and ask's if I wanted some parts , I said what kind of parts, he said Ariens. I said well lets look at'm. We walk out and on his trailer I see a very old ariens blower, but I'm thinking he got parts laying in the bottom of the trailer, he then points to the blower and says well can you use any of them. He said if you want it you can have it , it will save me a trip to the dump. I said you bet, he then walks up his ramp gate and starts the blower drives it down the gate and off the trailer. he said it wont blow snow and told me he picked up a broken 6"piece of a county plow scraper blade in the last storm while doing the end of his driveway. Auger belt detonated, sheared the flywheel key and after replacing those found no auger drive. both augers freewheel and the pins that are in it are actually pins for farm clevis hooks not shear pins. So does anyone know is there shear pins inside the cast drive housing, by hand I can rotate the auger and move the impeller shaft just to see if I could feel broken teeth and dont feel any thats not to say the internals are not just mush, but havent played much with this old of this model.
looking for mod # however it has been painted many times cant find a tag.

Last edited by Lottstodo; 01-11-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Not a c bucket its a teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 04:19 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 201
As far as I know, the only shear pins on old Ariens are on the augurs, and Goober done fixed that good . . . . Likely your gearbox is toast . . .
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 644
Ariens made that bucket and auger gearcase from 1960 to 1978...I believe there is a sticky either on the Ariens forum or the repair forum
post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 113
I just found a old ariens parts list online exploded view that shows a roll pin going through the big gear through the shaft inside the housing. One can Hope!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 04:52 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 201
I know I could never get that lucky, but hoping for you!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 644
I know the 924 aluminum gearboxes used a solid pin, and I've only done one of the old style and that was two years ago.....I think it was either a roll pin or solid pin, but my mind is slipping......
post #7 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 05:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 112
Thanks (Received): 168
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 712
Cast Iron Box Should have a Roll Pin that Secures the Gear to the Shaft. You might get Lucky, 5/16 IIRC.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 05:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 37
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 222
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
I just found a old ariens parts list online exploded view that shows a roll pin going through the big gear through the shaft inside the housing. One can Hope!
My 922003 gear case just had that roll pin grenade on me recently, which caused the exact description you just posted to occur. The auger rakes would spin in unison (had shear pins intact), but the rakes would spin freely like there was nothing there.

When I drained the gear case oil, four pieces of a spring roll pin came out with it, and I can look straight into one of the drain plug openings and see the roll pin opening on the helicon gear clearly without a pin inside. As the front gear (auger) shaft would spin, the opening would disappear then reappear as it turned and aligned with the helicon gear opening. I remember having to spin the impeller to get these to align.

Stuck an awl into there where it's passing through the shaft and gear openings, auger rake spinning stops and then locks with the impeller shaft like a pin's in there again. Just how much the spring roll pin exploded, not sure really...looked to me like only the ends of it came out - 4 pieces, like someone sawed the ends off and then split them in half. So I suspect the rest of the pin is still stuck in the shaft.

I simply bought a parts blower and replaced the bucket whole, but have kept the exploded one for at some point I'll tear it down to get at that pin easier.

Here's the disassembly link...

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...sassembly.html

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", recent addition, ready for snow
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", finally ready for snow
1971 Ariens 910962/910995 "Bill", SOLD 3/7/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page