LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 01-16-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens S22

I have an older Ariens S22 that I was given a few years back. When it was given to me it ran, but it wasn't perfect. The two biggest issues were a fuel leak and a chute that wouldn't rotate. At the time I only had a small walk way to clear, so I put it in storage and figured I'd fix it later on. Having recently moved further north in New Hampshire it was clear that the little Ariens wasn't going to help me, so I snagged a deal on a working Honda. But I'd like to still fix it so I can give it to a buddy who needs a snowblower. So I changed the oil, put in a new plug and replaced the old fuel line that was cracked. The belt looks to be ok and seems to have tension. I assumed that the fuel line was where the leak was coming from, but it looks that it's leaking from the carb. I plan on diving into the carb threads shortly, but welcome any suggestions. What I can't determine is how the chute mechanism should work. According to Ariens there should be a spring and a metal bearing that rolls along a metal plate with indents for the bearing. This is how my machine is currently set up. But I noticed the diagram on ereplacement parts for the S22 shows that the machine uses a spring with a rivet. The ball bearing has been giving me some hassles when I try to get it line up, so I wanted to know if any one had any experience with the rivet they suggested, or any other suggestions and insights on these types of chutes? You guys have been a huge help in getting my Honda in near perfect running condition, so I welcome any advice. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-16-2019, 12:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I had an Ariens SS322 for a time, 5+ years ago. The chute wouldn't rotate when I got it. I took it apart, and found that it was a ball on a spring, as you said, riding in a series of recesses, to give the different detents for rotation.

I cleaned up the rusted ball, and smoothed it out. I cleaned the rust off anything that had to slide (I forget if those recesses were metal). I then put some grease on the ball & spring, and the recesses it slides on. After that, it worked nicely. I don't remember trouble during reassembly, but it was a while ago.

I never looked into the rivet style that you're describing. I doubt I have any pictures of the mechanism, but possibly.

Mine had a Tecumseh engine, I'd probably refer to Tecumseh documentation for carb info. I had to clean my carb thoroughly, then it ran great.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page