LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
NEVER KNOW Whats in the snowbank

I was asked by a customer if I could stop and look at his blower and give my thoughts, mind you he gave me no indication as to what the problem was even when I asked, he replied you just need to look at it.
When I got there and he opened the garage door what I saw was his big simplicity pro machine looking like it was playing the game chubby bunny like kids do with marshmallows, except not marshmallows but Great stuff expanding foam,big gap and crack filler of course, to the tune of 9 cans. I immediately went for my camera to which he said absolutely NOT!!! NO PICS!! I guess it kinda of dimmed his sense of humor..

With him being a carpenter/ contractor , his wife needed the truck and took the bag with the foam out of the truck and set it on the ground near the garage, later that night 3 weeks ago we received 5-6 inches of snow. His 14 yr old son had a snow day from school and was instructed to go ahead and blow out the drive as dad had to go to work.
The blower ate the bag and all the cans some by the augers and some by impellers by the way it looks, this stuff was clear up the chute, and totally engulfed the augers and bucket. The son stated the blower did not stop and he shut it down because of the racket/ noise, he then wheeled it into the garage, ( of course heated) then left it until later that night to tell and show his dad of the problem.

The dad said it was glued to floor and looked like an alien being lurking in the shadows !! Collateral damage was garage siding and door and window, sons boots,and snow gear all being the worst. Luckily it was only cans bursting not exploding (flames).
He is turning it into his Ins. co.
When he told his wife what had happened because she left the bag on the ground her reply was... well is that foam really expensive!!!

I will see how this turns out. Oh and no names were used to protect the innocent!! Still want a PIC though.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, 132619 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 01:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 214
Cut out as much as you can. Use plastic putty knife( so not to scratch the paint) and start scraping. You can also try plastic razor blades. Try acetone to loosen it. May take several attempts. Steam will remove it.

post #3 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 01:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 5
I would love to see a picture of that!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 01:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 118

NINE cans??!!!

I'm glad I wasn't there, because I think it would've taken a heart of stone, not to laugh.....

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
post #5 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yea I went over some cleanup options with him but he is just sick as this was purchased brand new the last week of Oct.2018. It was only the 4th time being used and was $2965.00 with all his options. 32" simplicity pro
I pushed a stick into the foam and it still has foam not activated and starts oozing out.
there is also very sharp metal shards embedded and sticking out of the foam.
With the cover off foam is present in the trans area and belt area not sure how or from what opening.
I did tell him though that I would be interested in the unit if it became a salvage item. and as well interested in doing the repair if that is what it comes to.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Truthfully I was as somber as a pallbearer at a funeral while I was there . HOWEVER once out the drive and on the road I was literally crying from laughing so hard. Even had to stop to grab a paper towel to wipe my eyes!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #7 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
Talking

I don't know, are you sure that won't just buff out?

:-)

Pretty amazing story, and probably worse than most of us can even imagine. Maybe a little extreme but I suppose it is just possible that the machine is actually 'totaled' due to the parts and labor required to restore it to being a snowblower. Maybe a day or so snow-blowing...... well, I guess golf balls, would clean it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
I was asked by a customer if I could stop and look at his blower and give my thoughts, mind you he gave me no indication as to what the problem was even when I asked, he replied you just need to look at it.

<snip>

I will see how this turns out. Oh and no names were used to protect the innocent!! Still want a PIC though.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
On a not so funny note.

My wife just told me that the son (via his mom) as of 2:00 today has been referred to a advanced optical clinic down state for what they said was several fine spatters of the foam to both eyes that came in contact with a dry eye surface and attached. And that they fear in the cornea area could be permanent eye damage.
They thought that his eyes were puffy and redish because at the same time of the blower incident he started helping a neighbor feed and take care of cattle and horses for the winter so thought that allergies from the hay etc was at play.
Not the case.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 05:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 27
Wow, that's horrible. I would be crying like a baby if that happened to my new machine.

I would imagine that his insurance will total out the machine as that foam probably got into EVERYTHING. I remember using that stuff to fill a crack in the wall and was amazed at how much a 1/2 second depression of the trigger expanded. I can't imagine what 9 full cans would do.

Ariens Pro 32 Hydro Rapidtrak
post #10 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 05:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 121
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 245
Likes (Received): 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
On a not so funny note.

My wife just told me that the son (via his mom) as of 2:00 today has been referred to a advanced optical clinic down state for what they said was several fine spatters of the foam to both eyes that came in contact with a dry eye surface and attached. And that they fear in the cornea area could be permanent eye damage.
They thought that his eyes were puffy and redish because at the same time of the blower incident he started helping a neighbor feed and take care of cattle and horses for the winter so thought that allergies from the hay etc was at play.
Not the case.

That's a shame, especially for someone so young. Hopefully he'll be alright.

This puts a whole new spin on how "expensive" those 9 cans of foam were....

Go left.....No, your other left!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page