LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
Predator engine question

A while back I repowered a older ariens (70s) snowblower with a predator 212 engine that the guy had purchased already .
So today;
He stopped by and asked if I could replace the flywheel key and of course I asked what happened. Oh no nothing happened, I have an advanced timing key for a predator engine that I want installed as I only run this full throttle except for warm up.
And that all the minibike and go cart enthusiast run the advanced key for performance.
He showed me the key ( pak of 2) and sure enough the key was made offset. Standard key is not.
So ?
Has anyone tried this on a snowblower with a predator?
I have starting reading on some of the kits available for predator engines to give performance. Didnt know they existed.
I told him I will install it tomorrow ,but also told him cold starts may be difficult.. Any thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 02:36 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
Sounds pointless to me. Pun intended.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #3 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
According to what I am seeing this key will shift more torque to the higher RPM curve where he runs his blower, and yea it will have less torque at the lower rpm curve , but from what I am reading when it comes into a heavier load instead of bogging down to find the torque needed to sustain the power , with the advance it is already in the torque band that was originally found in the lower RPM.

His engine, his Keys, his request, I'm game . Remember the customer is always right..... RIGHT!!!!! Ha Ha
post #4 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 67
More timing won't hurt low end torque. Unless it's advancing timing beyond best power timing, it should add power everywhere at the expense of likely requiring higher octane gas to avoid pre-ignition. Being that these engines don't have variable ignition timing, the factory timing is a compromise to avoid damage when worked hard at low RPM with 87 octane gas. So if you avoid working it hard at low RPM and feed it better gas, you can gain a little power with more advanced timing. It'll likely run a little cooler too.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tdipaul liked this post
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 05:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
Back in my previous life, I had quite a following setting up distributors on a scope for racing....limiting advance, changing springs to allow faster or slower advance...wow have things changed...haven't ported heads in a while or done 5 angle valve jobs, or changed any ring and pinions either...hot rodding snowblowers sounds like a gas....let us know how it works...just looking for another mod to do to mine!
post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey they have snowmobile races both oval and drag, now garden tractor races both oval and drag, chainsaw competitions , tractor pulls !!!

Why not snowblower competitions???? Might be super cool to see an old ariens go through 20" of snow for 30 ' in 20 seconds throwing it 100' +

WHATS not to like!!!!
post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
The trick is where is the torque going to be. Most minibikes/carts are modified with a different connecting rod and a different flywheel to spin faster without blowing up. That added torque on a stock snowblower engine might not be usable in it's RPM range. As for lowering the torque at a lower RPM it might be that before the governor can kick it back up it stalls out and dies from lack or torque going into EOD or something wet and heavy.

Like Cranman I've set up distributors too and the thing is to know what you're doing, what is needed and what the results of the changes you make are.
This is the blindfolded shotgun approach to enhance something and no one knowing if it's going to make any noticeable difference, gain some power or lose it. (IMHO) Unless it causes hard starting there isn't much of a downside other than the cost to the customer to try it.
Might want to recommend they switch to premium fuel just in case the advance might cause pinging. That and don't get the key in backwards

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I talked to him about the fuel and he said that he only buys and runs 93 non EO as that is all he will run in his Jonsered turbo 2095 chainsaws. So the 212 was already running it.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
I should have know, a Jonsered owner They're all crazy. I should know, I have one too. 910E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	910E as received 082313 3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	151695  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #10 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 293
Funny, I was planning to experiment with this exact thing on a predator 301.

I worked both my chainsaws, with portwork and a timing bump. Granted these are high reving 2strokes, But there’s room for improvement on a governed 4stroke.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page