Tecumseh 5hp governor arm/butterfly issue - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Tecumseh 5hp governor arm/butterfly issue

I have a LH195SP (tecumseh) that the governor arm doesn't move to control the butterfly. The spring has enough tension to keep the butterfly closed, but when moving the throttle lever the butterfly doesn't nothing (no start). The only way it fires is to tie the butterfly to full throttle, but this caus es overreving because of the sensitivity.

I thought I different spring would help but no luck no matter what size/tension. With a big snow forecasted in the coming days I need to figure this out because I'm cheap like that.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-17-2019, 05:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
The weights may be stuck. You may have to go inside and free them up. These governors work off a principle similar to this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZAYs9jcewi...l_governor.png

So if the weights don't move, it doesn't govern. This is based on the assumption that you did all the basic trouble shooting things like adjustments and such.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-17-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
At this point, I'm going to have a small engine shop look at it. I realize that this is beyond my knowledge if it is on the inside. Thank you for the idea to check it.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-17-2019, 06:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbuchanan View Post
At this point, I'm going to have a small engine shop look at it. I realize that this is beyond my knowledge if it is on the inside. Thank you for the idea to check it.

Keep in mind it's conjecture based on experience. That's why I said MAY. I would be interested in the final answer. I've never seen a stuck weight on a Tecumseh, but have on older briggs.

Just something to look at, don't want to see you throw money at it based on this. Good luck, and again, please post the result.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-17-2019, 07:11 AM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
Quote:
If its a single shaft engine, it may be cheaper to buy a predator than to pay a shop to investigate/repair the tech. Jmo

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
If its a single shaft engine, it may be cheaper to buy a predator than to pay a shop to investigate/repair the tech. Jmo

I was thinking the same thing, and it would work much better.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Received): 86
I would also just get a 99.00 Predator.

I have had one on an Ariens for 5 years now, runs great.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-17-2019, 09:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
I have a LH195SP (tecumseh) that the governor arm doesn't move to control the butterfly. The spring has enough tension to keep the butterfly closed, but when moving the throttle lever the butterfly doesn't nothing (no start). The only way it fires is to tie the butterfly to full throttle, but this caus es overreving because of the sensitivity.

I thought I different spring would help but no luck no matter what size/tension. With a big snow forecasted in the coming days I need to figure this out because I'm cheap like that.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
So if I understand you correctly, without the engine running and throttle control in the "fast" position, the carb butterfly is NOT wide-open. That would be a problem.

1. The linkage might not be hooked-up correctly (can you take some pictures?)
  2. The linkage could be binding on something (like fuel line? breather tube?, etc.)
  3. The internal governor spool could be stuck in the out (fast) position...this would require some surgery.
  4. The external governor arm may need to be recalibrated with the throttle. 1.) loosen the governor arm bolt, 2) hold throttle butterfly in WOT position (a bread-tie comes in handy for this) 3.) rotate the governor shaft clockwise and hold it there (you're bottoming-out the governor spool) and 4.) with the gov shaft turned CW AND throttle at WOT, tighten the governor arm bolt.

I've had a governor stuck in the "out" (fast spinning cam) position (#3 above). And when I recalibrated the governor arm / throttle with it in the fast position... I was inadvertantly teaching the engine to dump in more fuel when it didn't need it; very lucky that I didn't grenade it.

^^^ bomb waiting to go off.

So if you do #4 above (recalibrate), and the engine runs away, hit the kill immediately and prep for surgery.

DISCLAIMER: Whenever you touch the governor controls (linkage, spring) you should have a tach to confirm that you're not exceeding 3600RPM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jsup liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page