LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
electrical gurus input wanted

I have read a lot of threads about installing leds and needing rectifiers and caps, fuses and a ability to diagnose when it all does not work including using oscilloscopes, a blackboard for the ohm's law equations, and a box of bulbs for the trial and error.
I tried to follow the "voltage to high thread" and was quickly lost in the technical rocket science portion of electrical flow of vac to vdc and what should be and what should not be done and as well I know that was not specific to my machine. I am a runnability mechanic and know 12vdc systems but the conversion seems to be the key to get it right.

My machine is a Ariens 921 28 dlx with the AX291 cc LCT engine. The electrical output specs for that engine are 60 watt 11-14vac @ 3600 RPM.
I found this converter online which for me would be the cats meow if it will work.
I did a online chat with a rep and told him what I was doing and he said that they have a lot of customers using this on snowblowers.
This thing is like $12.00
From what I see the only thing that is out of spec is the 35 watt but not sure if that would be input or output wattage.
So would I be wrong to assume that if I wanted to have a couple larger leds I could wire 2 of these 1 for each light if the wattage spec were to be a concern.
I would like to hear from electric gurus good or bad , just looking for a easier way and maybe help a lot of others as well.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led-12v-ac-to-dc-converter-module.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	151711  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 256
It's too bad they don't supply any more detailed electrical specs or a schematic for that... without those it's hard to tell if it will work.

I suspect it's just a bridge rectifier and a capacitor, and as discussed in the "voltage too high" thread, sometimes that arrangement will work and sometimes it won't - depending on the alternator and the load (both the LED and other devices powered by the alternator).

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 12:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
I have read a lot of threads about installing leds and needing rectifiers and caps, fuses and a ability to diagnose when it all does not work including using oscilloscopes, a blackboard for the ohm's law equations, and a box of bulbs for the trial and error.
I tried to follow the "voltage to high thread" and was quickly lost in the technical rocket science portion of electrical flow of vac to vdc and what should be and what should not be done and as well I know that was not specific to my machine. I am a runnability mechanic and know 12vdc systems but the conversion seems to be the key to get it right.

My machine is a Ariens 921 28 dlx with the AX291 cc LCT engine. The electrical output specs for that engine are 60 watt 11-14vac @ 3600 RPM.
I found this converter online which for me would be the cats meow if it will work.
I did a online chat with a rep and told him what I was doing and he said that they have a lot of customers using this on snowblowers.
This thing is like $12.00
From what I see the only thing that is out of spec is the 35 watt but not sure if that would be input or output wattage.
So would I be wrong to assume that if I wanted to have a couple larger leds I could wire 2 of these 1 for each light if the wattage spec were to be a concern.
I would like to hear from electric gurus good or bad , just looking for a easier way and maybe help a lot of others as well.

Thanks
I've seen 2 write ups using that 1 worked
1 diid not

You have the same 5amp 60 watt as me it couldn't be more easy
yellow and black from engine go to either side of the $1.25 ac bridge recctifier
$12.00 40 watt combo beam spot/flood led light goes to the positive and negative to the dc side of the bridge rectifier
no fuse no capacitors no switch needed
light comes on when you start
easy easy 14 bucks it lights up my yard no flicker stays bright at idle unlike the stock setup
2 L brackets for a mount looks like it came stock

Last edited by 1132le; 01-17-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #4 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 12:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
The electrical output specs for that engine are 60 watt 11-14vac @ 3600 RPM.
As was said, without knowing what's inside it, it's tough to really say for sure what it's doing. It might be blindly converting AC to DC. Or it might also be "smart" enough to also regulate the voltage.

Either way, I think you'd be in pretty good shape. You need to check the wattage draw of the LEDs you have in mind. Your engine can supply 60W, this box can handle 35W. That's not a problem yet. If your LED draws 10W (which is still quite a bit of output, from an LED), then could run up to 3 of them using a single box.

You need an LED that can handle 12V DC as the input. That should be pretty common, but it's still worth mentioning.

Even just to help others learn from your experience, it would be helpful if you could post the details of the LEDs you select, and let us know how it turns out.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I used that same AC / DC converter on my new Ariens and it works perfectly...powering 2 10W LED's. The unit is sealed so you can't see what's inside without breaking it...but I would assume it's a rectifier and cap(s), as I get zero flicker from the LED's.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 165
There are similar devices on Amazon that take 12 to 28 AC and output 12V DC 3A that look very similar, but apparently regulate for about the same price, which might be a better pick in this case, since the unit mentioned is lacking for much useful information . . .

Last edited by tadawson; 01-17-2019 at 11:00 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys , I think I will compare the one that I posted that dcon67 said he used and the one tadawson spoke of and get one of them for my Ariens.
After thinking about it I wonder if this will as well work on some of the old tractor repowers to newer engines that had a starter/ generator with external voltage reg. That you cant use on or adapt to the new engine. That may simplify things as far as charging battery etc. ??? maybe?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 621
To use it to charge the battery on an older tractor, you mean? I don't think I'd want to use this for charging a battery, you don't know that the output voltage is correct for a battery. If it's actually 12V DC, that would be too low. I think the charging voltage should be closer to 14V DC.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #9 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry you are correct. 14vdc for batt charge,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page