Ultrasonic Cleaner, paid for itself on day 1 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-19-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Ultrasonic Cleaner, paid for itself on day 1

So I picked a 10 Liter, 2.5 Gallon, Ultrasonic cleaner. We have snow forcasted. A landscaper contacts me, brings me two machines. Both need carbs. Tells me "get these done for tomorrow and I have five more right behind them.

So, I have some "cores" on the shelf from other carb swaps.

On one machine, a 1 year old Ariens that wouldn't start. I took off the carb, dis assembled it, threw the parts that could be cleaned, in the cleaner. Took them out, dipped them in water, blew them out with compressed air, they came out looking brand new.

Reassembled the carb, and it fired right up.

The second machine the carb was so ugly outside with rust and salt deposit. So, I pulled one of the cores that matched off the shelf, repeated the process, fired right up again. No issues.

It's not the $15 I saved on the carbs, it's the fact this guy needed it done TODAY and I didn't have to wait two days to get the carb, it comes at four o'clock, and it turns into a week long event. I was able to do it fast, get them in, and get them out in one day, without having to carry inventory. Yes, I did re-use his bowl gaskets, something I need to order in quantity and keep around.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tdipaul, guybb3 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-19-2019, 08:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 148
Likes (Given): 280
Likes (Received): 590
I keep a supply of new carbs on the shelf. At $12 apiece, it's not a large investment.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-19-2019, 08:28 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 582
Garage
how the heck did that purchase pay for itself...possibly.... cleaning one carb ?

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes russ01915 liked this post
post #4 of 19 Old 01-19-2019, 08:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 621
Awesome! What did you use for a cleaning solution?

nmcove, I'm speculating that at least part of how it paid for itself was allowing 2 successful & quick-turnaround carb cleanings today, with 5 more as likely future business as a result. Even if the carb is $15, presumably the charge for the job is more than that. If we assumed $30 per cleaned carb (pulling a number out of the air), today's adventure might lead to $210 of business, as well as a happy customer.

I don't mean to speak for jsup, but I can see how it would be able to start paying for itself. And even if there is a bit of poetic license involved (I have yet to *actually* die from laughing or embarrassment), there's no harm done.

Mine has paid for itself, in my opinion, and it has yet to do any actual "paid" work But it's cleaned a bunch of carbs for me, which is what I wanted it to do.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #5 of 19 Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 319
Especially when you're under the gun timewise, it takes money to make money. I have also done custom woodworking and furniture repair for a number of years on the side. I have some unique machines most woodworkers won't have in their shop. I've made and repaired things others couldn't because of those machines. Even when I had to buy something to do a particular job, most times I've used it additional times where it's paid for itself plug brought in far more work than the tools cost, just purchase selectively. Don't discount rentals or outsourcing in some instances but one way or another if you generate more work, that's good.
Likes jsup liked this post
post #6 of 19 Old 01-19-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
how the heck did that purchase pay for itself...possibly.... cleaning one carb ?

Because it wasn't all I did to the machines, it was for two machines. Without being able to do the fast turn around that the cleaner allowed, I wouldn't have gotten the business.

Also, this guy dropped off two machines yesterday, said get them running tomorrow I have five more right behind it. This is a $1000 customer, minimum. The machine and solution cost me under $200. He's a commercial account.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, guybb3 liked this post
post #7 of 19 Old 01-19-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Awesome! What did you use for a cleaning solution?

I used the GUNK. The reason is if you read the can, it states specifcally "for use in non recycling cleaning machines" (I paraphrase) So it is designed specifically for this purpose.

https://www.zoro.com/gunk-carburetor...8O3w&gclsrc=ds
Quote:
nmcove, I'm speculating that at least part of how it paid for itself was allowing 2 successful & quick-turnaround carb cleanings today, with 5 more as likely future business as a result. Even if the carb is $15, presumably the charge for the job is more than that. If we assumed $30 per cleaned carb (pulling a number out of the air), today's adventure might lead to $210 of business, as well as a happy customer.

I made $400 today, about $200/mahcine. Without the machine, I'd be without that money.

Quote:
I don't mean to speak for jsup, but I can see how it would be able to start paying for itself. And even if there is a bit of poetic license involved (I have yet to *actually* die from laughing or embarrassment), there's no harm done.

Mine has paid for itself, in my opinion, and it has yet to do any actual "paid" work But it's cleaned a bunch of carbs for me, which is what I wanted it to do.

I already have friends lining up to clean firearms. Maybe that's another way to make some money. Hmmm....
Likes guybb3 liked this post
post #8 of 19 Old 01-19-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
Especially when you're under the gun timewise, it takes money to make money. I have also done custom woodworking and furniture repair for a number of years on the side. I have some unique machines most woodworkers won't have in their shop. I've made and repaired things others couldn't because of those machines. Even when I had to buy something to do a particular job, most times I've used it additional times where it's paid for itself plug brought in far more work than the tools cost, just purchase selectively. Don't discount rentals or outsourcing in some instances but one way or another if you generate more work, that's good.

I have a ton of woodworking stuff too. My biggest regret is selling my UNISAW. I didn't have the room. Given the choice between paying someone, or buying a tool, I buy the tool. I made some really cool trade show furniture out of oak. I have oddball stufff like biscut cutters with glue injection (pretty cool) . Makita electric planer, routers, all good stuff, not the harbor freight type. Can't go wrong with good tools.

My son knocked my my $1100 bench grinder down bending the spindle. Called Baldor, can't fix it because of the age, from the 80s. Need to repalce that. Looking at Jet. I like their stuff.

Last edited by jsup; 01-19-2019 at 09:40 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
I keep a supply of new carbs on the shelf. At $12 apiece, it's not a large investment.

No it isn't, but I'm short on room.

I am finding there's a handful (five or six) basic models, and the rest are modifications off that. For example, the length of the choke rod on a Briggs carb. I save all that.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-19-2019, 10:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
I already have friends lining up to clean firearms. Maybe that's another way to make some money. Hmmm....
Sounds like it was a good and profitable day! Firearm parts are something I haven't tried cleaning in mine, but I'll bet it would do great, since it can get into little nooks and crannies. I should give it a shot, so to speak.

I found it works awesome on my metal watch band, which is another item with lots of little crevices, etc. Though I've heard not to submerge waterproof/sealed items in the cleaner, as the seals can possibly be damaged or compromised. So I didn't dunk the whole watch.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 01-19-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page