LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-20-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens SS522 Paddles And RPM HSK850

I am now working on two of these 938016. One is really my buddy's since new and the other from the pile behind the dealer. Carb rebuild on one and Chinacarb on the other and the HSK850's start right up. The junk pile one actually looked to have better kept parts and was garaged. My buddy's has low use but his kids just throw crap behind sheds. He does my car stuff - I do his small engines. He is original owner probably Home Depot - no receipt after 18 years. Now the questions.

Both of these rev at about 2750 - nowhere near the 3600 factory spec. I have seen what Borat does. Thet do responf when I move the top governor lever away from the carb. The link from the governor arm is unmangled in any way. So, would messing with the screw at the bottom of the governor make any difference. I know that you loosed the holding nut, turn the screw all the way clockwise, then retighten. If I did not go all the way tight would it run any faster? Also bending the very bottom spring tab upwards per the Tecumseh manual gets it to where it is. Last - I note that the smaller HSK600 has a longer upper governor link bu a slight amount - would a longer link from the governor arm make this faster of slower??

Next is I ran the non-buddy machine yesterday. It looked to have newer augers but ine of them is actually cracked. The brass nuts are still shiny so someone did something to this. Dont know about the scraper. Anyway it does not really pull me forward a bit. Contrary, I feel like I have to push it. Then it spit a couple pieces of auger out the chute and it was time to stop and do light work with the little beat to heck 3hp murray/noma and the big stuff with Big Orange (74 Ariens 6hp/24" with greyhound swap - its a beast). In the end looks like paddles are too low. Would scraper bar do this? Or is this because the lower assembly wears? Has this happened to anyone? Has anyone jury rigged shoes. I haven't been out to look and compare two machines.

Last, online manual says the duraclean augers are guaranteed for life. My buddy is the original owner. Has anyone made a claim and what does Big Orange In Brillion make you do? It actually threw pretty well for the short path I ran it thru 8-10" we got in Chicagoland.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-20-2019, 04:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 165
I have had tachs misread . . . . does it *sound* slow? You may well be overrevving and not know it. Basically, do the gov setup, and you should be very close. If both really are that slow you likely made the same linkage mistake on reassembly on both.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-20-2019, 09:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 272
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 621
I haven't messed closely with a Tecumseh 2-stroke governor. Just my 4-stroke governor. It took some playing with it to get my head around how to position everything with setting the governor position. Watch the direction that the governor arm moves as the engine speeds up/slows down. The direction that it moves when the engine slows down, will then open the throttle plate further. So you can then mess with it with the engine still off, and have a sense of what will happen.

Worst-case, try it different ways, and be ready to shut the engine down quickly if something goes wrong (engine speed skyrockets).

I did Boratify my little Tecumseh 3hp 2-stroke in a SS, with a string to crank the RPMs up when I squeezed the handle It was fun, if you trust the engine to hold together.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 5 Old 01-20-2019, 10:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeltjr View Post
I am now working on two of these 938016. One is really my buddy's since new and the other from the pile behind the dealer. Carb rebuild on one and Chinacarb on the other and the HSK850's start right up. The junk pile one actually looked to have better kept parts and was garaged. My buddy's has low use but his kids just throw crap behind sheds. He does my car stuff - I do his small engines. He is original owner probably Home Depot - no receipt after 18 years. Now the questions.

Both of these rev at about 2750 - nowhere near the 3600 factory spec. I have seen what Borat does. Thet do responf when I move the top governor lever away from the carb. The link from the governor arm is unmangled in any way. So, would messing with the screw at the bottom of the governor make any difference. I know that you loosed the holding nut, turn the screw all the way clockwise, then retighten. If I did not go all the way tight would it run any faster? Also bending the very bottom spring tab upwards per the Tecumseh manual gets it to where it is. Last - I note that the smaller HSK600 has a longer upper governor link bu a slight amount - would a longer link from the governor arm make this faster of slower??

Next is I ran the non-buddy machine yesterday. It looked to have newer augers but ine of them is actually cracked. The brass nuts are still shiny so someone did something to this. Dont know about the scraper. Anyway it does not really pull me forward a bit. Contrary, I feel like I have to push it. Then it spit a couple pieces of auger out the chute and it was time to stop and do light work with the little beat to heck 3hp murray/noma and the big stuff with Big Orange (74 Ariens 6hp/24" with greyhound swap - its a beast). In the end looks like paddles are too low. Would scraper bar do this? Or is this because the lower assembly wears? Has this happened to anyone? Has anyone jury rigged shoes. I haven't been out to look and compare two machines.

Last, online manual says the duraclean augers are guaranteed for life. My buddy is the original owner. Has anyone made a claim and what does Big Orange In Brillion make you do? It actually threw pretty well for the short path I ran it thru 8-10" we got in Chicagoland.

Thanks for any input.
All of those engines I have had seem to run slow. I guess that's just how they are.

2015 Toro Power Clear 721 R-C

Find me on MyTractorForum and MyLawnMowerForum!
Same username.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
Post a video and we'll tell you if the RPMs are slow or not LOL.

As for the lifetime warranty on the paddles... if he's the original owner, I'd take it to a local dealer and claim the warranty (I think the dealer has to perform the work, believe it or not).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page