LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 01-20-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
2 bad 3 machines DOA because of cold

1 older simplicity 1 craftsman and a early model Ariens all 3 threw rods and engines are junk.
Temps here this morning were around -10F and we really didnt get much for snow less than 2".
But the owners of the above machines felt compelled to operate their equipment.
Two common things with all three were:
1) being stored outside w/o protection, the craftsman owner said he had a garbage bag on his most of summer.
2) Throttled up to full throttle less than a minute after being started
Two of them did not even get to be moved before self destruction occurred. The ariens was moved 35ft.
The craftsman owner said he had sae 30 oil in it as that is what his lawnmower uses....?? and stated it pulled so hard that he plugged in the electric starter that he never ever uses. when I told him he should have had 5W-30 in it he said no his lawn mower engine manual says SAE 30. I explained the need for the SAE 30 because of summer temps and the need for lighter viscosity for winter temps. He said he would have to prove me wrong by getting info from the MFG. I said please do...

I understand that sometimes we have stuff that we just cant get under a roof for protection, but you can at least cover your investment up with a tarp etc. ALL OF THEM told me that tarps are expensive. I showed each one some outdoor grille covers that I purchased again end of season this fall on clearance for less than 10.00 a piece normally $35.00 to $ 40.00 ea. total of 12 from 3 different big box stores and fit over a snowblower just fine. I sell these to people who need a cover for $15.00.
None of them are happy with me as they all wanted me to find them used engines for under $100.00 and would go as high as $200.00 -$225.00 all completed with install including engine. I declined to do any of them.

3 inside of 3.5 hr all the same it was a complete deja-vu .
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat, tdipaul liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-20-2019, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 166
you can't fix stupid. while yes it is nice if you can cover your machine or protect it from the whether it is really needed. my snowblower sat in the middle of my backyard all summer and it is just fine. already used it a couple times this season. i think the bigger issue is usually maintenance like proper oil and keeping the oil level where needed. you have the chance of moisture causing stuff like sticking throttles or stuff like that whether you keep it covered or not.

yup smart decision to not to the work for them. i would not touch something for someone who just wants to cheap out or want you to do it as cheap as possible. i would only do something like that for family or good friends but usually i try to give them the advise needed to keep a machine running forever before they have any issues. anyone that wants you to do stuff as cheap as possible is going to be a headache down the road

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, Greg13 liked this post
post #3 of 38 Old 01-20-2019, 04:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I can see how running straight 30 oil, in -10F, could be a problem. But I'm surprised the other ones blew, if they had proper oil. It's a snowblower, it should be able to survive cold temps, even if it's not given a few minutes to warm up (which *does* seem like a good idea, but not everyone will be patient enough).

crazzywolfie, I'm speculating that my current machine was stored outdoors, uncovered, for a while. The machine is quite rusty, and a bunch of fasteners twisted off while trying to work on it (including ones threaded into the engine). I sure wish the previous owner had kept it covered! Or least somehow kept it less-rusty. My tractor lives under a tarp year-round, and it's never given me trouble with linkages rusting up or anything. On the contrary, I'd say it's in much better shape than my blower, rust-wise, despite being about 4 years older. And the blower has lived in my garage for the last 6 years, since I bought it. The tractor has been under a tarp since I bought it 9 years ago, though admittedly I think the previous owners had it garaged.

Not trying to tell anyone what to do, but what I've seen, keeping equipment covered seems like a better approach, to me. It's at least my preference.

Lottstodo, sorry you had to deal with those, it does seem like declining is probably the safer approach, to avoid dealing with hassles of potentially unhappy customers. Too bad the machines suffered that fate!

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 01-20-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #4 of 38 Old 01-20-2019, 04:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 656
Thanks (Received): 166
Likes (Given): 1027
Likes (Received): 1064
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
1 older simplicity 1 craftsman and a early model Ariens all 3 threw rods and engines are junk.
Temps here this morning were around -10F and we really didnt get much for snow less than 2".
But the owners of the above machines felt compelled to operate their equipment.
Two common things with all three were:
1) being stored outside w/o protection, the craftsman owner said he had a garbage bag on his most of summer.
2) Throttled up to full throttle less than a minute after being started
Two of them did not even get to be moved before self destruction occurred. The ariens was moved 35ft.
The craftsman owner said he had sae 30 oil in it as that is what his lawnmower uses....?? and stated it pulled so hard that he plugged in the electric starter that he never ever uses. when I told him he should have had 5W-30 in it he said no his lawn mower engine manual says SAE 30. I explained the need for the SAE 30 because of summer temps and the need for lighter viscosity for winter temps. He said he would have to prove me wrong by getting info from the MFG. I said please do...

I understand that sometimes we have stuff that we just cant get under a roof for protection, but you can at least cover your investment up with a tarp etc. ALL OF THEM told me that tarps are expensive. I showed each one some outdoor grille covers that I purchased again end of season this fall on clearance for less than 10.00 a piece normally $35.00 to $ 40.00 ea. total of 12 from 3 different big box stores and fit over a snowblower just fine. I sell these to people who need a cover for $15.00.
None of them are happy with me as they all wanted me to find them used engines for under $100.00 and would go as high as $200.00 -$225.00 all completed with install including engine. I declined to do any of them.

3 inside of 3.5 hr all the same it was a complete deja-vu .
is that a crack smokin hood?

so what do you suggest if the blower is outside and they use 5w-30? is there anything else an owner can do? should they turn over engine with key off to maybe lube things first ? sometimes it falls below zero and here and my machines are in garage. I don't wanna blow one.

thanks.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #5 of 38 Old 01-20-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
let them Idle and warm up for awhile so that the oil has a chance to warm.

RedOctobyr:: The other 2 machines I do not know what type or weight or amount of oil was in those blowers, the bad part neither did the owners , they never checked. They could not tell me when the last time oil had been changed or checked. when I asked them if they changed oil last year one said he didnt think so but thought he had 4 yrs. ago . The other asked why nothins been leaking he did not ever remember changing oil on that simplicity, ever!!!
post #6 of 38 Old 01-20-2019, 05:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
Thats why people have to buy new blowers...other wise every one would still have 10000 series Ariens.......
post #7 of 38 Old 01-20-2019, 06:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
The new Ariens Deluxe 24's that my church has been getting the past 2 years only have 1 engine speed.. fast.. there is now slow or fast on it
post #8 of 38 Old 01-20-2019, 06:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
You have to wonder if there was any ice build-up from poor storage... like the governor linkage or recoil assembly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #9 of 38 Old 01-20-2019, 06:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 127
Agreed it was a good decision to not deal with idiot cheapskates. Just today I got the eyeroll from my wife for suggesting maybe keep the two snowblowers in the basement instead of the shed at end of season (note that I drain ALL fuel then) because the basement is much drier and we have plenty of room. And regardless of hours I change the engine oil, and grease and oil those bits that need grease and oil and so on. My lawn mower is 25 years old, runs fine, just follow the maintenance instruction in the manual. I haven't the foggiest idea why that is so hard for so many people.

As cranman noted those people are job security for repair shops and OPE manufacturers.
post #10 of 38 Old 01-20-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah. Why would or did they do that to the 24. DO NOT LIKE IT !!! I have a couple here close by both of the owners dislike that feature. I have been approached by one owner as to a possible carb swap to something with speed control as soon as his factory warranty is up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page