Running air-cooled gas engines at full throttle. - Page 7 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 79 Old 01-26-2019, 12:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL- View Post
Maybe the manufactures give basic guide lines as it's detailed and for most of the general public somewhat confusing. ie. The blower fan cools the engine within a large temperature range. ( 32F to below zero) It also seems likely that the flatheads that have been running for 30 or more yrs were not all run at the same RPMs or the same load conditions. Even in this thread snowblower users are not all running thier machines the same way and not having problems. Which is good in that it seems the motors are somewhat adaptable.

Well said Al.....or said differently, the engines are insensitive to a wide range of conditions.

Keep in mind that most folks on here are the types that change their oil (probable more than they need to) and do basic maintenance. Which all helps prolong the engines life.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 01-26-2019, 11:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 235
I question what WOT really means in terms of RPMs, though; seems opinions vary...

My Honda HSS1332ATD came new with the WOT speed set to 3,460 RPM.

The service manual specifies a max speed range of 3,550 +0/-150 - That's 3,400 to 3,550 RPM. Confusingly, it also lists a FINAL operating speed range of 50 RPM below that range - That's 3,350 to 3,500 RPM. So, from the factory my blower was set very close to the top end of the specified WOT operating range.

After I upgraded the main jet from #102 to #110 to address low power and surging issues, I also set the WOT to 3,650 RPM based on the recommendations of others on the forum (some suggested setting WOT as high as 4,000 RPM, very close to the coil rev limit). I stopped where I did based on the diminishing torque above that speed. When using the blower last year, I routinely recorded fluctuations between about 3,350 RPM and 3,960 RPM (my tach records max RPM) when initially engaging heavy snow: about a 600 RPM range.

When I received my blower back this year after having the chute and transmission service bulletins performed (different dealer than where it was purchased), they had reset the WOT to 3,300 RPM. Since that speed is closer to the torque sweet spot, I decided to leave it there for the time being as an experiment. In the two storms since then, I've only seen fluctuations in the 3,250 RPM to 3,350 RPM range. It would seem (so far) that the blower is happier at this WOT speed and hopefully is experiencing less wear. If I see larger fluctuations when the snow gets deeper, I'll adjust WOT and continue the experiment.

Update 01/30/2019: Well, we finally had our first "real" snowstorm of the season. The EOD was a solid 24" - 28" high and about 4 feet into the driveway. Going across the driveway taking a full 32" bite in the middle of the high stuff, the HSS1332 FINALLY bogged down to about 2,500 RPM (peak torque) a couple of times. While it still threw the snow 30-40' back from the road, guess I'm going to put the RPMs back up and see how it compares.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GX390 Torque & HP 3300.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	152429  

Last edited by tabora; 01-30-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #63 of 79 Old 01-26-2019, 11:41 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
I have made available to the Forum that Honda and B&S sell generators outside of North America to the rest of the world which run at 3000RPM to supply the 50Hz voltage these Countries use.

https://www.honda.co.uk/industrial/p...ications.html#
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu...generator.html

Last edited by sscotsman; 01-27-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Off-topic text removed, relevant info kept. Also, links fixed.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #64 of 79 Old 01-26-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 330
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
I have made available to the Forum that Honda and B&S sell generators outside of North America to the rest of the world which run at 3000RPM to supply the 50Hz voltage these Countries use.

https://www.honda.co.uk/industrial/p...ications.html#
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu...generator.html
Thanks Driver,
This info about the generators has already been added to post #3.
I will add your links right now.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 79 Old 01-27-2019, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
I have two Tecumseh engines from the early 70's still running and I'm sure the oil was seldom changed, they were run at various speeds and forty + years later they are still going.
Run your engine at a speed that you feel comfortable with and gets the job done.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
Likes tadawson liked this post
post #66 of 79 Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Thanks Driver,
This info about the generators has already been added to post #3.
I will add your links right now.
Scot

Thank You Scot.

Would you like to hear my opinion as a CMAT and CTT Dealership mechanic during the '80's, with first hand knowledge from the Engineers who worked on these projects who taught the schools. From Ford EEC IV that gave us a break out box to determine system faults and C6 to AOD transmissions as to what the climate was during those early years.

Last edited by DriverRider; 01-27-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks WVguy thanked for this post
post #67 of 79 Old 01-27-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 330
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
Thank You Scot.

Would you like to hear my opinion as a CMAT and CTT Dealership mechanic during the '80's, with first hand knowledge from the Engineers who worked on these projects who taught the schools. From Ford EEC IV that gave us a break out box to determine system faults and C6 to AOD transmissions as to what the climate was during those early years.
Since none of that has anything to do with small air-cooled engines, and so is irrelevant to this thread: No. Thanks for offering though.

Scot

post #68 of 79 Old 02-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 68
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 283

I bought a laser temp gun today.

With the laser pointed here right near the exhaust port of my Kohler Magnum 18...

and running it for 5 mins at full throttle (no load = ~3570), this is the avg reading...

and then after running it for 5 mins at idle (no load = ~1200), this is the avg reading...

Thoughts???

1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
1983 Craftsman FF20 plow tractor
Likes nwcove liked this post
post #69 of 79 Old 02-02-2019, 06:00 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 341
Likes (Received): 579
Garage
now a somewhat true test would be to load the engine and test again at wot and maybe 1/2 throttle under the same the snow conditions. snowblower myth busting.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

Last edited by nwcove; 02-02-2019 at 06:21 PM.
post #70 of 79 Old 02-02-2019, 07:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 68
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
now a somewhat true test would be to load the engine and test again at wot and maybe 1/2 throttle under the same the snow conditions. snowblower myth busting.
I suppose this would be a good test but I wouldn't normally run a (snow blower or mower) engine at 1/2 if it had a significant load on it. We already know that's not good for an engine.

My test was to determine if a lower throttle setting results in lower temps when under a light load

It does, so have no fear about putt-putting back to the house after some hard work or towing a light trailer around the yard

Less noise, less fuel consumption, and cooler temps now proven out. Its all good!

1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
1983 Craftsman FF20 plow tractor

Last edited by tdipaul; 02-02-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page