Why Would a Carb Surge and Then not Surge and then Surge Again? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-23-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 658
Thanks (Received): 166
Likes (Given): 1033
Likes (Received): 1070
Garage
Why Would a Carb Surge and Then not Surge and then Surge Again?

Had a problem that I have never run across before.

Had a HS828 that would not start. Good spark. Cleaned this carb out in May and found some rust at bottom of bowl so took off carb and cleaned it.

First time using it since May and it started and ran until we shut off engine and it would not restart. So cleaned it out again and it started right up. It runs ran at full throttle and idled down fine. Ran it for about 15 minutes and went from full throttle back to idle and it RAN FINE.

Here's the problem. Restarted it and it starts easily. Runs fine at full throttle but surges at idle. Sometimes it surges or hunts and sometimes It doesn't. I have never had a carb do this where sometimes it idle fine and sometimes it goes back to hunting.

Of course I suspected the idle circuit. Took out the pilot jet and cleaned it. sprayed carb spray into the hole but could not see if spray was coming out of the tiny holes near inside the carb. I suspect my problem may lay here.

It runs fine at full throttle. starts right up. sometimes it idles fine and sometimes it hunts. Could it be something else? I'm thinking maybe changing the gasket and the front plate next. maybe I have a leak in those areas.

I have worked on at least 100 carbs in the last couple years and have never seen this problem before.

Stumped.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-23-2019, 07:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
As was mentioned in another thread that I saw today, the governor might play a part. When I see an engine surging, I figure it's running lean. But in playing with the governor on my Tecumseh, I found that if I installed a linkage into a different hole in the arm, for instance, I could produce surging, with a carb that's running totally fine.

Are the governor parts are free, and moving easily? You could try a bit of oil on the pivots, if something seemed a bit sticky.

Does adding partial choke help smooth it out? That might at least help simulate opening up a restriction in the carb.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
post #3 of 24 Old 01-23-2019, 07:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 247
Likes (Received): 290
fuel quality?

drain all the fuel into a clear bottle and see what settles to the bottom!

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #4 of 24 Old 01-23-2019, 07:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Water in the gas? This will cause your symptoms. Water will sink to the bottom of the carb, and will sink to the bottom of a clear soda bottle. It's always a process of elimination, eliminate this.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #5 of 24 Old 01-23-2019, 08:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
I'm gonna agree with R/O & TDI.... When I get a stumper like that, I start with the basics from the beginning.

1: Drain/Flush fuel supply. I also have a separate fuel tank, with a line on it, as an aux fuel supply. (Just to be clear, it's
mounted to the work bench, with a long hose that I can just slip on the carb for quick testing. I use a Tecumseh Tank)
2: Check and adjust governor settings.
3: If it's still acting up, add choke when the problem is present. If it clears up, then you've nailed a fuel problem definitively.

Since your Honda exclusive, it should be evident within a few minutes.
And I'm sure you have a spare Honda fuel tank (or ANY fuel tank, as long as it's known good/clean), to also use an an auxiliary fuel supply source.

No sense chasing a fuel issue unless you KNOW it's a fuel issue......ie. valve adjustment, sticky rings,

let us know what you find,

GLuck, Jay
post #6 of 24 Old 01-23-2019, 08:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
Forgot to add, once or twice, I've found a damaged/swollen rubber disc in the fuel shut-off valve on a Honda. Can't remember the exact circumstances, maybe hard/no-start?? Maybe high idle fuel starve?? IDK.... but it kicked me around enough to make sure I don't forget it's there......

GLuck, J
post #7 of 24 Old 01-24-2019, 12:50 AM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 174
Had that happen on a mower. Finally ended up replacing the pilot jet outright, since apparently years of fuel had affected the plastic and it shrunk and went lean. New pilot jet (same part no) and 5+ years of no issues, and no other changes.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-24-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 658
Thanks (Received): 166
Likes (Given): 1033
Likes (Received): 1070
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Had that happen on a mower. Finally ended up replacing the pilot jet outright, since apparently years of fuel had affected the plastic and it shrunk and went lean. New pilot jet (same part no) and 5+ years of no issues, and no other changes.
from these posts I was thinking maybe water so am gonna drain all gas.

and drill out pilot jet .

if that don't work the owner has okayed a new OEM Honda carb install.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #9 of 24 Old 01-24-2019, 01:14 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 174
Pilot jet replacement is easy . . . I tried to drill mine, but the plastic got furry and that didn't work out, and I didn't just keep going bigger . . . probably could have, but didn't feel the desire since the part was over the counter and done . . .
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
post #10 of 24 Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
A few days ago I was finishing a customer's snowblower, Tecumseh, that I had cleaned the carb in my ultrasonic cleaner, removed the Welch plug, used a welder's tip cleaner, non adjustable carb, it was surging but it would run smooth for seconds, then surge, then run smooth, repeating. I drained the gas from the carb and the tank in to a clear 2l soda bottle. The gas came out cloudy then settled leaving water in the bottom. I am very careful of my gas container, emptying it completely before filling, even draining the remainder in to a soda bottle to check for water. Before I work on any piece of equipment, I always drain the gas checking for color, clarity, and water. After refilling the snowblower from a second gas container that I first filled a 2l soda bottle to check for water, there was none, the snowblower ran perfect, no surging. It was the gas. Where did the water come from? I don't have a garage or shed so all my equipment is tarped, and tarps after awhile leak. But then how did that much water get into the gas tank through the little vent hole?

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page