Augers jammed now engine won't start - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 Old 01-28-2019, 04:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
You mentioned that augers turned when you ran the starter. If you were not engaging them while running your starter , Then I would pull a belt cover and make absolutely sure you did not throw a belt that is binding and letting the auger system try to turn as you try to start it.

It will not be good if the belt is in a wrong position and the engine actually starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 01-28-2019, 04:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 154
if it is almost firing up but not quite i would try priming it a couple extra times and then try starting it. sometimes that works and worst case scenario is that you flood it and got to pull the plug and cycle the engine a couple times to clear it out.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #23 of 45 Old 01-28-2019, 06:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 44
I was gonna say take off the belt. Can't believe it took three pages to get that suggestion.
post #24 of 45 Old 01-28-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
.je

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
OK rather than take up more of your time I'll summarize:

The snowblower was purchased secondhand and by the 'story' and appearance has been used maybe half a dozen times in 2 years. It has a B&S 1150 series engine (it says it right on it!) w/o a fuel shutoff (there's a blank there). The drive stopped working for the PO, but I fixed that.

The engine was working, rough, then I tried to engage the auger (which was iced up, because all this is new to me) and the engine quit, and did not restart.

All the ice was cleared and the auger (and the drive) work if they are engaged by the handles.
There's spark, and it looks good. The plug looks very new, but maybe it needs replacing. It sure is wet with gas.

Starting it up after turning it over without the plug gets it almost going, but has to be repeated.
Now just a week or so before this, I got a can of gas but the little vent cap was off for that time. I wouldn't think it would let a lot of moisture in to foul the gas, but you might know better than I.

I think the next steps would be to change the gas, and maybe the plug. If there is anything else I'd love to hear it, but will have to try these things before asking more questions.

I must say that I am very impressed with the speed and thoroughness of the answers that you folks have provided. Well done, I hope to be able to help anyone with the wisdom you've already provided in a short time. I'll let you know if it's working ASAP.

Last edited by .je; 01-29-2019 at 03:56 PM.
post #25 of 45 Old 01-28-2019, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Good background info, thanks. I personally wouldn't expect trouble with the vent open for a week, especially in the winter (dryer air). But that's just me.

If you have a compression tester, doing a compression test could be worthwhile.

A new plug is cheap to try, at least. Spraying a bit of starting fluid, carb cleaner, etc, into the carb's intake could help you see if it would run from another fuel source.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #26 of 45 Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by .je View Post
That was my first thought too. Tried after an hour but didnt start. The starter moves the augers and drive tw.
Thanks for these suggestions I'll try and let you know what happens.

The auger and drive should not try to move when starting the engine. Make sure they are not engaged. I don't believe that engine will start with a load on it. Ill say it for a second time.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #27 of 45 Old 01-29-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
.je

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ok I got this far

Starter fluid works this well too.

This thing used to start first pull!! Would have been good to use for last night's 9" dumping.

Thought maybe it was too cold like this thread
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...d-weather.html
I'll try heating it somehow. ?

Last edited by .je; 01-29-2019 at 03:57 PM.
post #28 of 45 Old 01-29-2019, 04:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 902
Engines all need air, gasoline and spark all combined with the proper amount and.at.the proper time, to start and run. I would still check that key, even replace it just to take that possibility out of the equation.
Something else... That starter motor isn't going to tolerate much of that.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #29 of 45 Old 01-29-2019, 06:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
After rereading your post I believe that you are chasing a carb issue.You got the machine 2nd hand , not been run hardly in a couple years and you did not mention removing old gas from the tank or say anything about cleaning the carb of old gas or gunk from old gas.if the carb plugged after you got it running (roughly) and engaged the augers then stopped , you may need to do a good cleaning. there are a number of different ways for raw fuel to get to the cylinder to cause a fouled plug, but it is not atomized w/air as needed so it just floods the engine.

As well check your oil to make sure that you dont have a overfilled condition from gas( possibly leaking past needle and seat) as part of the carb not cleaned scenario.
post #30 of 45 Old 01-29-2019, 06:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I think you can buy a new carb with gas line, clamps, filter and primer , etc. from amazon for like $20.00
then you could install the new carb and practice cleaning and rebuilding your old one, for a spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page