Banging noise when auger engaged (with video) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Banging noise when auger engaged (with video)

Hey guys, using my blower this morning it suddenly started banging when the auger is engaged. I kind of knocked it on the driveway to clear it and it got louder. Any ideas? I noticed one of the four pins along the “bar” is out. Any one have any suggestions? It looks like the thing in the middle is bobbing up and down. Sorry, I don’t know anything. Haha

https://youtu.be/91peOGZjqKQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 10:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
The impeller fan or blower fan may be contacting Ice built up in the bottom of the housing.
Pull the spark plug wire ( for safety) and then from the front look into the back of the housing where the impeller is and inspect it for ice and debris. If possible thaw it out.
If after it is thawed it still does this then you could have a bad impeller shaft bearing, and or a bent auger shaft , as you indicate that you are now missing a pin.
Inspect the augers carefully and look to see if maybe part of the screw portion of the auger has been bent due to contact with an object, and bent it so that it is making contact with ground the bucket housing.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 10:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
Also take a look at the scraper blade and make sure that the bottom has not bent in so as to make contact with augers, (you say you banged it).

As I look at your video, I question the augers (4) of them as to their orientation on the shaft,. Not knowing make , model , new ,old etc. does not give us much info to get a look a proper diagrams.

However as I said your augers look, at least from your video, looking from the front that the left outboard and the rt inboard are the same and the rt outboard and the lft inboard are the same. Normally the 2 outers will be the same and as well the 2 inners will be the same.

But cannot say that as definite without proper information
post #4 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 10:54 AM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 582
Garage
Looks to me like the augers are hitting the ground. Try tilting the front up when the augers are turning........use the handle bars

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 11:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 403
Garage
Follow the above advice. Shake the auger shafts checking for looseness.

Are the auger end bearings loose? I see the gearbox and auger shafts jumping up.

If you can't find it, remove the auger belt so you can turn the impeller and auger easier.

If you can't find it, then separate the tractor from the auger housing so it's easier to see and work with.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #6 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys!! So when I tilt it up the noise still happens. Maybe it’s contacting the bottom of the housing? I’ll try to thaw it tonight and see if it helps. From there I’ll have to call someone. It really feels like the whole thing “bucks” just a bit when it happens. Not just contact. But there’s a lot of stuff happening so who knows.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 83
I watched the video several times ..... One of the auger blades is bent and straightened out, which effectively makes it longer. That now longer auger blade appears to be the culprit making the noise. It's making the whole shaft jump. If the noise continues as the machine is lifted, means it's not hitting the floor, But is it hitting the scraper bar?? Clean out the auger housing and look for the shiny non painted metal....That will be the contact point. It appears to be the second auger blade from the left in the video. They do bend very easily. It can be bent back into position, but may take heat, although it will be weakened and more susceptible to bending again.

GLuck, Jay
post #8 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Jay! So is there an easy way to spin the augers to look? It’s not moving much when I try with my hands.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 03:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 403
Garage
Remove the shear pins and turn the auger, see and hear anything? If not, the problem is not with the augers. Now remove the spark plug for safety because the engine can kick back, reach into the chute and turn the impeller blade by hand.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #10 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 05:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 238
That far right side auger is badly bent (actually straight when it SHOULD be angled). I had the same issue with a Troy Bilt auger (same one, too). My solution was to use an enormous Crescent wrench to grab each side of the auger in turn and bend it back to match the other ones. The ends of the blades should line up closely with the auger section next to it towards the center. Should look like a continuous spiral with just a little gap between the ends of the blades.

The center one on the left has a similar issue on one side, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page