Toro 521 Traction Drive - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 01-30-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
New Guy here that's lurked for a long time. My old Toro 521 38054 finally crapped out on me. It does not move in forward or reverse. I had an issue with reverse in the fall when I pulled her out to get her ready for winter. I adjusted the lever and it was much better. I pulled off the bottom panel to check on the friction disc and to lubricate the rod. The disc was not too bad and I figured that I'd change it out and put a new set of belts on in the spring when I put it away. Fast forward to yesterday, while digging out of the foot of snow that we got, it stated making a squeaky/squeely noise and then I lost the traction drive. No forward or reverse. It was making noise sitting at idle. I shut her down and rushed off to work. This morning, I fired it up and checked it out a bit, no movement or nothing when I engage the traction drive, auger works fine. I pulled off the belt cover and found that the big pulley at the bottom (not the crank pulley) is flopping around. Any ideas?? I am going to replace the belts and friction disc since it will have to come apart. The auger pulley is fine with no side to side or up and down play.

Last edited by Bnicov; 01-30-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-30-2019, 10:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
If a pulley is flopping around, thats where to look first. Pulleys are attached to shafts so either the shaft its attached to has a bad bearing or maybe the pulley itself has broken or come loose on the shaft. Of course, with this lovely weather we are having, it will be a real cakewalk to disassemble and repair any damaged items. Maybe wait till the weekend when its supposed to get up to +3 or something, then see what you can find.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page