post #1 of 8 Old 01-30-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 2-cycle dies

Hello all,
I picked up a running 2 cycle 98cc Toro powerlite 1 stage blower recently. Our first wet snow it performed better than I expected, I had to cut half widths for it not to bog and stall, but it is a liteweight machine so I expected it. This storm was light and fluffy and it did well...till about 25 minutes in. At that point it idled down, and stalled as if running out of gas. It wasnt out and when I pulled, she fired right back up...ran for 15 sec perfectly, turned off. Rather than throw it across the street, I finished with a shovel and put it away. I pulled it out today morning after issue) and fired it up again loosening the gas cap. It ran, released choke and it idled up and down....almost stall to surge....over and over again. I restarted after each stall for a few minutes and it seemed to even out after running half choke for 2-3 minutes. I blew a path around the house and once down the drive, and it stalled. It will start on demand, but either cycles between almost stalling and surging, or just stalls. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-30-2019, 11:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
it sounds like water in the fuel. You may have to pull the float bowl to see if the bottom of the bowl has water / ice in the bottom. check you fuel can and gas tank for water.

I just did a blower that completely cold ran fine after getting warm/ operating temp it would crap out. It ended up that water sitting in the float bowl would turn to ice overnight and let it run fine cold / same with tank but as everything warmed up the ice melted and the water became the primary issue.
also make sure you gas/ oil mix is correct for your engine!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-30-2019, 12:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 151
i would maybe even take the float bowl off and make sure the main jet is clear. maybe there is some crud in the bowl that got sucked up into the main jet.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #4 of 8 Old 01-30-2019, 01:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 291
I love my little powerlite, I had some erratic running conditions with mine awhile ago.

Replacing the fuel needle seat, set the float height to spec, and replaced the plug and kept the gap tight. All in all, has been great since.

Definitely at least drop the bowl and look for contamination.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-30-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Mix is 50:1 which they wisely put on the cap so I don't forget. I bought and labeled a can for it. What I never thought about was octane, should I go regular or high?
Opened the bottom to reveal the carb and found that. There is NOTHING for an air intake. The carb has a small attachment that bends up, like a smoke stack, but there is no filter, assembly or anything. I can look directly into carb and see the choke. I pulled the bowl, and everything looked clean, but I stuck the carb cleaner into every nozzle I could find. I reassembled and fired it up, half choke and let it sit for a bit. Turned off choke and let it sit. My ridiculous neighbor refused to let me do his driveway, for free, as a test, so I blew out about a 8'x40" piece of my lawn. She ran fine maybe the open carb did suck something up, but I really done want to have to fiddle with it in the middle of every snowstorm. I couldn't find a model number, though I should've looked when I had the plastic off, but I'm gonna look again and see if I can MacGyver something up and create some kind of airbox.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-30-2019, 02:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
any carb in these temps can frost up especially ones that are WOT . the throttle bore can condensate as the cold air rushes in, along with the occasional snow dust.

This is why on older cars they ran a tube from a heat shield box to the air cleaner for warm air. and on EFI most throtthe bodies have a coolant port for heat.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-30-2019, 05:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 151
if it is running fine now you have most likely got the problem solved. sometimes it could have been some bad gas or something like that. sometimes you just have to take the float bowl off let old gas out and put it all back together.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #8 of 8 Old 01-30-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
As I said I bought cheap and used. I did notice that the the two screws holding the upper shroud on were missing, leaving space there for snow and debris to get in right near the baffle, so I hit the local store and spent $2 on screws. The upper shroud gets pretty warm with it running (steam coming up from melted snow) so I'm hoping closing the gap will both stop water and debris, while containing the heat to avoid condensate intake. I did find a diagram and apparently the open carb is how it's made, so we'll see what happens.
Next up, the electric start!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page