Craftsman Snowblower Drive Belt Keeps coming off. Help Please - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-31-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman Snowblower Drive Belt Keeps coming off. Help Please

Model # 31AE5HTG799

The drive belt keeps coming off my snow blower. I've replaced the belt and the new one comes off as well within seconds of it being started.
Has anyone tried a fix like the one in this video on a craftsman machine?
The video shows a Ariens machine but I do have a bolt that I can use for the locknut he is using in the video. On my machine the bolt is lower then the Ariens and I need to take off the belly pan to get at it. To me it looks like it would shim it the same way he is doing on the Ariens.

I bought this machine new back in 2007, and this is the only issue I have ever had with it. I've changed the oil and plug a couple times and belts once. but that's been it.

Thank you in advance!
Carlos

I attached a screen shot of the area I'm talking about on my machine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNOWBLOWER 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	152703  

Last edited by cadasilva; 01-31-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: adding more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-31-2019, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to SBF cadasilva

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cadasilva thanked for this post
post #3 of 7 Old 01-31-2019, 08:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
That would be a get it by fix until you can actually make a repair.
I would first make sure that return spring #60 is good not stretched, missing or broken.
The swing plate has bushings on the pivot arms # 37 that can be worn out or missing , also the pivot arms on the swing plate # 35 can be bent or broken.
The entire swing plate can be replaced. also pulley bearing and spacer could be worn out.
All said you can shim that bolt with a nut, however there is wear or damage that would not be addressed properly for lasting use.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cadasilva thanked for this post
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
post #4 of 7 Old 01-31-2019, 08:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
To add one other thing you may want to check the top frame where your engine bolts down, especially the drive end (pulley end) we have seen on some units that the top frame has sagged or bent from stress and let the pulley end of the engine drop down which puts the pulleys out of alignment.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
post #5 of 7 Old 02-01-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
That would be a get it by fix until you can actually make a repair.
I would first make sure that return spring #60 is good not stretched, missing or broken.
The swing plate has bushings on the pivot arms # 37 that can be worn out or missing , also the pivot arms on the swing plate # 35 can be bent or broken.
The entire swing plate can be replaced. also pulley bearing and spacer could be worn out.
All said you can shim that bolt with a nut, however there is wear or damage that would not be addressed properly for lasting use.
Thank you for the that, I agree the nut would be temporary fix, and that I need to repair the real issue. I might try the nut to get me through the winter and do the real repair in the spring as I don't have a heated area to work in. I will be checking Items #60, #37, & #35 tomorrow.
I'm assuming when you say The Pulley Bearing and spacer those would be #77 & #78? I will look at that as well. I will reply with what I find.

Thank you!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
To add one other thing you may want to check the top frame where your engine bolts down, especially the drive end (pulley end) we have seen on some units that the top frame has sagged or bent from stress and let the pulley end of the engine drop down which puts the pulleys out of alignment.
This might be a stupid question, but how do I check if the frame is bent?
I have taken the machine through some tough snow banks and heavy snow, so I could see this being a possibility.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-11-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just a quick update. I tried adding the "shim" nut to the bolt similar to the video and that seems to be working so far, although I have not used it under load yet, i only drove it around the driveway. The drive belt has stayed on with this temp fix.
When the weather is warmer, I will replace the spring and bearings as well as the rubber drive wheel. hopefully those will be the more permanent fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page