Spirit SM523 dual stage auger belt issues - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-09-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Spirit SM523 dual stage auger belt issues

After coming across a snowblower forum, I thought I would post to see if anyone can be of assistance/help me.. I have an older (1987) to be exact Spirit 523 dual stage snow blower that I acquired from my grandfather that I would really like to keep/continue to run it, but I am struggling to find what I believe to be the correct drive belt for this snow blower, anyone here happen to know what belt this might be?? It has a 5 HP Tecumseh engine if that helps. The only cross reference part I can find so far is a 3526MA murray belt/part number, but after looking at how torn up this belt is that I put on just last year with this part number I am not convinced it is the correct belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2019, 12:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
I'm looking at the Amazon reviews for the 3526MA belt and they not that great either.

Have you considered an aftermarket kevlar belt? It looks like a 1/2" x 30" belt.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...evlar&_sacat=0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by db130 View Post
I'm looking at the Amazon reviews for the 3526MA belt and they not that great either.

Have you considered an aftermarket kevlar belt? It looks like a 1/2" x 30" belt.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...evlar&_sacat=0
That was my next thought/idea was considering a kevlar belt as I believe that is what my drive belt is made from and so far it seems to be holding up while. I like the price point of the belts that you linked to so I think I may go that route next and see what happens, as it seems to have burnt up the belt today...
post #4 of 7 Old 02-10-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
here is the status of the current belt.. essentially useless
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_212942.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	153315  
post #5 of 7 Old 02-10-2019, 07:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Take a string and wrap it around both pulleys then lay tape measure out and see how long it is will give you a good idea the size, them measure the inner diameter of pulley to see thickness of belt you’ll need, done this before helps with older machines that have little info online, good luck
post #6 of 7 Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2391 View Post
Take a string and wrap it around both pulleys then lay tape measure out and see how long it is will give you a good idea the size, them measure the inner diameter of pulley to see thickness of belt you’ll need, done this before helps with older machines that have little info online, good luck

for the time being I went with the 1/2" by 30" belt but made with kevlar, we will see how well this one holds up, I am concerned that the width may be too much as it seems to fit the pulley's but to me not sit into them like I think it should. I will have to try your measuring trick and just see what I come up with, and see if this belt is close or if it should be something different.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-12-2019, 11:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 3
What’s your groove of pulley measure out at?, if it sticks up an 1/8 “ or less I wouldn’t worry too much with a bit of use it’l sink down in pulley nice n flush, shouldn’t stick up much more then that though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page