post #1 of 8 Old 02-10-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 678
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 1091
Likes (Received): 1108
Garage
Compression Tester Recommendations ?

my old tester ( 20 plus years ) gave up the ghost.

need new tester and would appreciate any recommendations for a reliable tester that won't break the bank.

thank you.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks aldfam4 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-10-2019, 08:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 126
Two thumbs up for the Shankly Compression Tester. I've used it on everything from automobiles, weed whackers, leaf blowers, mowers, snow blowers, etc... Excellent quality and well built for shade tree mechanics.

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks aldfam4, orangputeh thanked for this post
post #3 of 8 Old 02-10-2019, 09:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
I've got quite a few testers, mostly Snap-On........ But this is the one I use the most often. It has a small gauge and semi rigid hose that will not flop around while pulling on the 2 stroke weed wackers. I got it as part of a kit from OTC, but here it is as a stand alone unit. I'm sure they are available cheaper, although this is a decent brand and reputable seller.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lag-tu-21c/overview/

GLuck, Jay
post #4 of 8 Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
OP, do you have a leakdown tester? They're excellent for diagnostic work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #5 of 8 Old 02-10-2019, 10:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
That Shankly looks a lot like my Harbor Freight tester that's maybe 10 years old. Though the Shankly includes a second hose and adapter than my HF did not, plus the Shankly has a case.

A leakdown tester would be a nice tool to have. How essential is the actual leakdown measurement/function? The gauge that shows you the percentage, I think it is?

It's occurred to me that sometimes a leakdown test is used simply to figure out *where* your small engine is leaking. When you pressurize the cylinder, if air is coming out of the dipstick tube, then it's blowing past the rings. If it's coming out the carb, you have a leaking intake valve, etc.

If that's a good bit of the benefit, then you can learn that by just supplying compressed air to the spark plug hole. You don't need the gauges, etc. Buy/make an adapter, etc. For instance, this shows how to turn a spark plug into an air-supply fitting:
https://www.powernationtv.com/two-mi...down-test-tool

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 8 Old 02-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
That Shankly looks a lot like my Harbor Freight tester that's maybe 10 years old. Though the Shankly includes a second hose and adapter than my HF did not, plus the Shankly has a case.

A leakdown tester would be a nice tool to have. How essential is the actual leakdown measurement/function? The gauge that shows you the percentage, I think it is?

It's occurred to me that sometimes a leakdown test is used simply to figure out *where* your small engine is leaking. When you pressurize the cylinder, if air is coming out of the dipstick tube, then it's blowing past the rings. If it's coming out the carb, you have a leaking intake valve, etc.

If that's a good bit of the benefit, then you can learn that by just supplying compressed air to the spark plug hole. You don't need the gauges, etc. Buy/make an adapter, etc. For instance, this shows how to turn a spark plug into an air-supply fitting:
https://www.powernationtv.com/two-mi...down-test-tool
The gauge is key so you don't over-react!! You're going to hear leakage but your ear won't be able to gauge how much is acceptable; you really need to quantify the pressure loss.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #7 of 8 Old 02-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Thanks. I haven't looked into them enough to know: how dependent are they on cylinder size, etc? Will you still get reliable readings on a small blower engine, vs something like a car engine (which, if I were to guess, is maybe a more common use for them)?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 8 Old 02-10-2019, 12:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Thanks. I haven't looked into them enough to know: how dependent are they on cylinder size, etc? Will you still get reliable readings on a small blower engine, vs something like a car engine (which, if I were to guess, is maybe a more common use for them)?
I've only used mine on small engines...never automotive. It is somewhat qualitative in that you should have a control or baseline (new or refreshed engine of similar build). That said, when you have a known-bad engine, you can quantify the improvement a valve job &/or new rings make.

IIRC, the instructions in my OTC tester recommend < =10% pressure differential.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page