post #1 of 3 Old 02-12-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
JD 1032 Drive Won't Engage

Hello,

Hit a log last week in deep snow and the machine completely shut off instantly. Cleaned it all out, started it up and blower works great, but drive doesn't engage. Installed new friction disc, but still nothing. The clutch cable is fine and the friction wheel is spinning. All belts are intact. Looks like the friction wheel should engage the friction disc when depressing the clutch handle, but that doesn't happen.

Thoughts? I'm guessing I broke a spring or pin or something, but I'm not sure where to start beyond the replacing the rubber friction disc. I can move the friction wheel by hand (when not running) to contact the disc, but what causes that to happen when depressing the clutch handle?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-12-2019, 05:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 526
Don't know much about the real JD blowers, but if that is an Ariens built one, check to see if the aluminum drive disc is moving when you engage the lever....they can get stuck and freeze up. The fix is to gently pry up and down with a crow bar to unstick it...pry up, hammer down with a brass punch.....use plenty of PB Blast...when free, I use lithium grease in the aerosol can....
post #3 of 3 Old 02-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 354
Likes (Received): 621
Welcome to the forum!

The clutch cable may pull a spring, to move the metal disk so it contacts the rubber friction wheel. If so, perhaps the spring broke, or came off.

Can the metal disk swing back/forth, to touch the rubber wheel? It sounds like it can, but I just want to make sure.

What happens, exactly, when you squeeze the clutch handle? I'd follow the cable as it routes to the metal disk, and see if something along that "chain" is broken or disconnected.

In a pinch, if you need it tonight, if it was a broken spring, you might be able to bend a new end onto it, to get you working again for now.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page