Fixing older craftsman main shaft bearing - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-12-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Fixing older craftsman main shaft bearing

I bought an older Craftsman 8/20 for cheap in the fall. I knew it needed a motor swap and I Had predator 6.5hp laying around. Swap went fine but after using it today I noticed a clunking noise from the front and a lot of play where the shaft passes through the auger box and connects to the flywheel. Is it an expensi experience fix or would I just need new bearing assembly and swap out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-12-2019, 07:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Most likely the impeller bearing. Getting the pulley off may be difficult but doable on most. You want to split the auger off the tractor unit. Soak the heck out of the pulley and pull the set screws. I've rigged a few pulling methods up in the past, big thing is don't bend the pulley.
I press the bearing out of the retainer and press in a new one. Much cheaper and more dependable IMO. I measured the old bearings and used that to buy sealed replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impeller_Bearing.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	153421  
post #3 of 4 Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
thanks for the reply, looking at the unit it doesn't look that bad to take apart, just wondering if the bearing assemblies are $$ or affordable? Would it likely be a common size available at harbor freight etc?
post #4 of 4 Old 02-13-2019, 09:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
A little linkage, a twist here and there and 4 nuts and the auger is off the tractor. Hardest usually is getting the auger pulley off the shaft.
On the bearing, you can send Sears something like $40 for a new assembly. You can also press the bearing out of the mount, buy a new bearing at one of the many places that sell bearings and put it onto your blower for something like $3-$5 the last time I did it. Measure the id on the bearing, the OD along with the thickness and you have all the info needed if you can't read the numbers off the old one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page