MTD 8/26 ate a shovel handle - what now? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-12-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 7
MTD 8/26 ate a shovel handle - what now?

Well I really messed up this time. I was using an MTD 8/26 during a storm here (older but not that old, has a Tecumseh engine on it), it was given to my by my GF's dad. Went to shovel my steps and tossed the shovel to the side. The handle got buried.

Later on, I was getting close to where the shovel was and CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH - see ya later shovel handle (fiberglass handle)

Of course, now my machine's auger won't spin :/

It was dark out, but the shear pins are still intact.....which leads me to believe that they weren't shear pins at all, since they definitely should've given out with that much resistance (I really thought I confirmed this prior to the season).

So now I'm wondering what major item I wrecked. I'm guessing the whole gearbox impeller, a $250 replacement. Auger rakes themselves look good. Is it possible I just stripped some gears inside the auger housing or impeller housing vs. wrecking the entire thing? Are there any good tests and places I should start here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 26
You didn't mention if the impeller was turning???
post #3 of 15 Old 02-12-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffnell View Post
You didn't mention if the impeller was turning???
I have to assume no. I didn't have a clamp to hold down the auger while I looked, but I see any snow lightly jump out.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-12-2019, 11:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Did you try to spin impeller with pry bar manually with machine off?, I’m guessing if gearbox isn’t fried handle could be wedged in behind impeller?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Snowslinger liked this post
post #5 of 15 Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 49
Likes (Received): 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2391 View Post
did you try to spin impeller with pry bar manually with machine off?, iím guessing if gearbox isnít fried handle could be wedged in behind impeller?
and plug wire off

1999 MTD E662E 24Ē with 10HP Tecumseh Engine.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-12-2019, 11:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
THx snowslinger that too 👍🏻
post #7 of 15 Old 02-13-2019, 12:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 49
Likes (Received): 9
Quote:
THx snowslinger that too 👍🏻
I hated even saying anything cause I always feel like a jerk! but Im sure Iím not the only one who has had my hands and arms twisted deep up inside a piece of equipment when my eyes go wide and I see the plug wire snugly attached and remember OH S, this thing is warmed up, primed and ready to go.

I wonder how common it actually is for it to turn over in situations like that?

1999 MTD E662E 24Ē with 10HP Tecumseh Engine.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-13-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Did you try to spin impeller with pry bar manually with machine off?, I’m guessing if gearbox isn’t fried handle could be wedged in behind impeller?
Started it this AM, impeller does not turn by power. Have not tried with a prybar. I found the handle so there’s nothing that’s should be blocking it
post #9 of 15 Old 02-13-2019, 07:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowslinger;1650341[COLOR=Red
]I hated even saying anything cause I always feel like a jerk! but Im sure Iím not the only one who has had my hands and arms twisted deep up inside a piece of equipment when my eyes go wide and I see the plug wire snugly attached and remember OH S, this thing is warmed up, primed and ready to go.

[/COLOR] I wonder how common it actually is for it to turn over in situations like that?

Logically, one would have to say "not very likely".
But that doesn't mean you should do that!

First off, it would require that the auger control is still engaged, making the impeller auger assembly still physically attached to the engine via the belt and pulley. Additionally, and even if it was attached, the spinning of the auger a slow quarter of a turn to determine connection through the gear box to the augers is not likely to start the machine. Most people would wish the machine would start that easily.

All that said, there is such a thing as the "insurance" of safe practices.

There's no excuse. It's not a big deal to pull the plug wire before you go into the auger housing trying to figure out what's still connected, and what's not connected. In fact, if you want to be truly fanatic about it, you could take a minute and pull the plug out. That way, no spark and no compression. If you can get your machine to start under those conditions, that deserves its own thread here on the forum.

Bottom line, a few seconds invested in added precautions can pay big dividends in personal safety. .

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Snowslinger thanked for this post
post #10 of 15 Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkThisWhey View Post
Started it this AM, impeller does not turn by power. Have not tried with a prybar. I found the handle so there’s nothing that’s should be blocking it

Well, that's actually a better sign that the impeller is not turning either. Pull the plug wire off, and look in there with a bright flashlight to make sure there's nothing stuck between the impeller and housing.

Then try to spin the auger by hand or with a stick of wood. Does it spin freely? Do the auger rakes turn in unison with the impeller (albeit much slower)?. If the impeller spins but the augers don't move, then the damage has occurred inside your gearbox, likely due to bad shear bolts. Of course, you could also have a broken shear pin/bolt on the impeller shaft too, assuming your impeller has one. But usually, the auger will spin anyway because of the friction from the shaft, and will then immediately stop when it encounters a snow load.

But if the answer is"yes" to the above two questions, pull the belt cover off and see if the auger drive belt jumped off the pulley when the impeller came to a screeching halt as the blower tried to ingest the shovel.

Obviously, when you get this sorted out, get yourself some legit shear bolts so that way you won't have to guess whether or not they are the wrong kind. Cheap insurance......

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood

Last edited by SayItAintSnow; 02-13-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page