LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-13-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Leaking oil

Hey guys, just used my snowblower after getting 30-35 cm of snow and I noticed at the end of using it while cleaning it off that there was an oil “ puddle” in the snow .. back right corner ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 8
I guess it would help to know what type of snow blower along with a photo or two.
One from a not so far distance and one close up.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Too few details to help.

I'd wipe it down and look to find where it's coming from. Sometimes you have to degrease it to find the problem.

On a new-to-me blower I though it was a slow leak. Turns out it was a massive leak! Ran it for a bit, figured it was coming from behind the flywheel, so tore it apart to find it had kicked out the seal. Put back in only to blow it out again... turns out the crankcase ventilation was not correct. Airbox did not have a hole drilled in it properly. No cost repair but still cost an hour or two of my time, as I pulled it apart at least twice.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-13-2019, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click4chips View Post
Hey guys, just used my snowblower after getting 30-35 cm of snow and I noticed at the end of using it while cleaning it off that there was an oil “ puddle” in the snow .. back right corner ...

First thing is check the oil level in the machine and see if its low right now. Is it possible that you overfilled it last time you did an oil change?

Check the drain plug make sure its there and tight enough. Don't over tighten it or you could crack the base of the block.

Check that the dipstick, if you have one, in in and snugged down, and that the dipstick tube where it goes into the block is in place and no oil is leaking from there.

Depending on your engine model, there MAY be a couple of leveling plugs , usually yellow with a couple of raised knobs on the top to get a screwdriver between them to loosen, near the bottom of the block. These are used to check the oil level instead of a dipstick sometimes. Some people have reported one or both of them coming loose and oil leaking out.

In general, when posting questions here, its a good idea to give make and model, year, and photos if possible showing the engine, and any other areas that are giving you specific problems. If you can find the engine number as well, that can be a help as many machines of same or similar model may come with different engines.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page