Cub Cadet Snowblower - Sparkplug wet and black - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Lightbulb Cub Cadet Snowblower - Sparkplug wet and black

Hey everyone,

Firstly great website here. I've spent some time researching the forum for an answer to an issue i'm having with my cub cadet snowblower. Hoping to get some help to diagnose the issue.

The snowblower is a Cub Cadet 208cc two stage blower approximately 11 years old. I had issues starting it this winter so i cleaned the carburetor, changed the oil, put in a new spark plug and fresh 91 octane fuel. The blower started for a few seconds and then stopped. When i pulled the spark plug out it was wet and black. I cleaned it with a rag and dipped it in some gas and put it back into the blower and tried starting it again to see if it would start up. No luck, again when i pulled out the plug it was wet and black.

Based on the research i've done i'm thinking that it could be oil leaking into the spark plug well. Which could mean that the piston rings or head gasket may need to be replaced. I'm def not a handy person when it comes to engines but wanted to get the thoughts from the pros on the forum.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-15-2019, 11:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 29
Rich fuel mixture.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks maxbla thanked for this post
post #3 of 18 Old 02-15-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by strtch5881 View Post
Rich fuel mixture.

Thanks, is there a way to correct this?
post #4 of 18 Old 02-15-2019, 11:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Manufacture of engine? Is there a high speed adjustment on the float bowl? How did you clean the carb?
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks maxbla thanked for this post
post #5 of 18 Old 02-15-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Manufacture of engine? Is there a high speed adjustment on the float bowl? How did you clean the carb?
It's an MTD engine model # 370 - SUB 0908202A0475. I'm unsure what the high speed adjustment would look like, here's what the carb looks like https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...TR710%252f2008

I cleaned the carb using carb cleaner and a thin wire to clean all of the holes.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-15-2019, 11:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
That engine is a Honda clone. These carbs have fixed jets. Non adjustable. Could be that the fuel inlet needle is not seating causing a high fuel level. These carbs are not easy to clean without an ultrasonic cleaner. You can find that carb on Ebay for 20.00.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-16-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
That engine is a Honda clone. These carbs have fixed jets. Non adjustable. Could be that the fuel inlet needle is not seating causing a high fuel level. These carbs are not easy to clean without an ultrasonic cleaner. You can find that carb on Ebay for 20.00.
The needle did seem fine when I cleaned it. Is there any other reasons that could be causing this? I should add that if I try to start it now even after cleaning the plug it fails to start or hesitates and nearly starts doesn’t.

I appreciate the help!
post #8 of 18 Old 02-16-2019, 05:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
The needle and seat can look good, but the best way to check it is to pressure test it. I rebuild a lot of carburetors and I would throw that one away.
My mistake on the 20.00, it's more like 12.00. Enter your part number on ebay. Don't worry about whether or not you are getting asian parts. Every part of that engine is from there.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-16-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
The needle and seat can look good, but the best way to check it is to pressure test it. I rebuild a lot of carburetors and I would throw that one away.
My mistake on the 20.00, it's more like 12.00. Enter your part number on ebay. Don't worry about whether or not you are getting asian parts. Every part of that engine is from there.

Thanks will do. I'll order that. Any idea on how difficult it is to also replace the ignition coil? the metal collar that plugs into the spark plug just snapped on me when i tried removing the spark plug. F*** my life.

Wondering if it's worthwhile to attempt to repair the machine given all the troubles its given me over the last few years or if i should just buy a new one.

If i replace the carb and the ignition coil, would that ensure the snowblower will start or could there be other issues preventing it from starting?

Sorry for the noob questions!
post #10 of 18 Old 02-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If there is a mechanic nearby, they should have a plug terminal and could install it on the wire for you. As far as other issues, you can only fix them when they arise. Money spent fixing a snowblower is better than spending it on a shovel. You learn stuff too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page