post #1 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Auger won't move

Greetings,

I inherited a Honda 928HS with the house I purchased. It seemed to run fine and a week later, the drive mechanism works fine but, when I engage the auger it squeals and the engine dies.

One auger spins freely, probably need a new shear pin. The other does not move with or without the clutch engaged (engine off). I checked the auger gears and everything seems to be ok. Other needing to get more gear oil, any suggestions, thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

If I didn't laugh, I'd cry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 10:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 526
Impeller sounds jammed...look for a rock or something...
post #3 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 10:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Has belt slid off pulley maybe?
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks LafinBoy thanked for this post
post #4 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 354
Likes (Received): 621
Welcome to the forum! Like cranman said, can you rotate the impeller manually? For safety reasons, it's better to not use your hands, push it with a stick or something. You should be able to turn it in both directions. I'd agree that likely either the impeller is jammed with something, or perhaps the auger belt came partway off a pulley and got stuck somehow.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 9 Old 03-03-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update...

Belt is on, when I engage the impeller, belt smoked and engine died.

I pulled the screws out of the drive shaft and I could spin the impeller. Restarted the engine, engaged and engine died. It seems that the actual shaft has seized at the engine side. Any ideas or do I start stripping it down to find the root cause?

Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-03-2019, 02:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 354
Likes (Received): 621
That's good info. But you didn't clarify if you can rotate the impeller manually, with the screws in the drive shaft?

When you removed the drive shaft screws, and rotated the impeller, what spun? Just the impeller? Or the impeller and the shaft that goes to the augers? I'm not familiar with how exactly the HS928 is set up, and which screws you're referring to.

It's possible that the impeller bearing seized up, locking up the impeller shaft. Or perhaps there was a catastrophic failure in the auger gearbox.

Can you wiggle the both augers back & forth? Is anything jammed between the augers and the bucket housing? Clearly something is stuck, and the odds are good you'll have to start taking things apart. But it would be good to understand the details a little better first, in case maybe there's an easy fix, with minimal disassembly.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 9 Old 03-03-2019, 05:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 625
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 912
Likes (Received): 969
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
That's good info. But you didn't clarify if you can rotate the impeller manually, with the screws in the drive shaft?

When you removed the drive shaft screws, and rotated the impeller, what spun? Just the impeller? Or the impeller and the shaft that goes to the augers? I'm not familiar with how exactly the HS928 is set up, and which screws you're referring to.

It's possible that the impeller bearing seized up, locking up the impeller shaft. Or perhaps there was a catastrophic failure in the auger gearbox.

Can you wiggle the both augers back & forth? Is anything jammed between the augers and the bucket housing? Clearly something is stuck, and the odds are good you'll have to start taking things apart. But it would be good to understand the details a little better first, in case maybe there's an easy fix, with minimal disassembly.
strongly agree.

take the whole **** thing apart. start with the augers and impeller and then remove the bucket . it sounds either like red said. a seized impeller bearing or a seized auger gear box or the belt is on but stuck or twisted.

how about the auger brake arm? you inspect that from underneath to see of it is twisted up for some reason.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #8 of 9 Old 03-03-2019, 05:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 246
Before you take it apart- make sure the auger case has oil in it. I had a locked up auger and it turned out to be out of gear oil. put some in, and it started spinning again. Got lucky.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The impeller would turn with the screws in, but the augers didnít turn with it.

One auger spins freely and one wouldnít until the screws were removed.

The auger gears are clean and I can move them easily (not spin but they do have some play) so it doesnít appear they are seized.

With screws removed, the belt engages then the grinding and shut down.

Sounds like itís time to take it apart. Iíll work backwards to the gear box.

Updates to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page