LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
MTD - Cannot get broken shear pins out

I'm at my wit's end! I have a Yard Machine 10.5 hp 28 inch snowblower. It's roughly 8 years old. It's worked great, but recently had the shear pins go - all 4 of them. I was able to get the 2 out pins out using a punch and a hammer. It went very smoothly. The 2 inner pins have not been so easy. They broke off inside of the axle. I have read a lot of advice on this forum, but I have not had any luck.

I have tried using the punch and hammer - doing my best to make sure the holes were aligned. I was able to make a dent in the soft metal of the pin - but they would not budge.

I've tried Liquid Wrench and WD-40.

I've tried heating everything up.

I've tried drilling out the remains of the pin. This was semi-successful. I was able to get through one of the pins before the drill bit broke off (it's really cold outside). I went and got stronger bits - but now I can't get through at all. Not sure if this is because it's too cold outside and the metal is too hard.

I really don't know what else to do. I don't want to pull the auger out at this moment. We're still in the midst of a Wisconsin winter. I will do that when it gets warmer.

Any ideas? They are really stubborn. I can't seem to move them at all. The drill did appear to work - but I can't seem to replicate my earlier success.

It just doesn't seem like it should be this hard. I have read as many threads on this forum as I can. It seems like this is a common enough issue - but none of the tips I've seen have worked.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 09:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 29
Your drill bit needs to be sharpened. Depending on how fast your drill speed is and the lack of cutting oil can dull a bit pretty fast. Drilling bolts, low speed.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
I've never had them be that difficult. Can you grind them out? Like using a small grinding stone on a Dremel?

What kind of replacement drill bits did you buy? Drilling through an existing, broken, drill is difficult. Carbide drills should do it, but those are not super-common, and are brittle. What if you come in from the other side, where the drill did not break off?

Are the pins definitely not threaded in the middle? No chance that they're threaded into something, explaining why they can't be driven out?

I don't think the temperature would change the metal's behavior too much.

Do you have a big C-clamp? You could a C-clamp to try and press the pin out. Since there's no raised pin head, you'd need to use something as a "poker", that can drive down inside the hole, to push on the pin. Perhaps a short bolt with a wide head, that's smaller than the pin diameter. On the back side of the auger, you need to provide a relief, so that the pin can have a place to push out. You could use a ratchet socket on the back side, between the clamp and the auger tube. The hole would provide a place for the pin to slide. A few washers stacked up might also work, with their holes over the pin.

Will the augers spin on the shaft? If so, in a pinch, I suppose you could drill additional holes, and install new shear pins to the left or right of these? That's a bit of a project unto itself, of course, but it could help you get through the winter. I'd keep it as a last-resort, though.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 09:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 180
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 413
Garage
Drilling bolts like this seems to be very risky. You have to be dead center otherwise you take a chance widening the hole and the replacement shear pin will be wobbling in the now larger hole widening the hole even further.

To get the maximum amount of power and pressure on the shear pin to force it out you MUST be using a punch that is the same size as the shear pin or close to it. Harbor Freight has a great cheap set. And you must be using a heavy hand sledge that has the weight when it strikes the punch. Not a hammer!!! Please, not a hammer. Then bang away, hard, swing! Put some silicon spray down the hole and synthetic oil. Heat will help but you really need a oxy acet torch, MAPP is hot but not hot enough.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #5 of 14 Old 02-20-2019, 08:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
Drilling bolts like this seems to be very risky. You have to be dead center otherwise you take a chance widening the hole and the replacement shear pin will be wobbling in the now larger hole widening the hole even further.

If one shaft-hole is tight, and the other is wide, then it would be like only having one shear pin on that side, and when that tight one shears, then the "backup" shear pin would go into duty, and act as the primary shear pin. I doubt if you would even widen the hole, unless the shear pin were harder than the shaft - which would imply that you are using the wrong shear pin.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-20-2019, 11:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 329
I have what may be a simple solution and a not so simple solution. This is assuming you have 2 shear pins per auger rake.
First is slip a new shear pin into the hole you have cleared out, that should align the other hole. Cut a piece of 2x4 to go under the auger shaft and support it. Now you should be able to drive the other one out.

If it won't come out, pull the auger assembly, slide off the rakes and with the shaft exposed, support the shaft and drive the remnants of the old pins out.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, JLawrence08648 liked this post
post #7 of 14 Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
I like the idea of supporting the auger shaft so you can really bang away at it, without stressing the gearbox too much.

But I'm making an assumption that these are the "segmented" augers? The kind where a 24 blower has maybe 4 auger pieces total, a 32" has 6 auger pieces total, that sort of thing. And that each segment has 1 shear pin, and is independent of their neighbor.

Is that the type that this machine uses? Or does each side have longer single auger, with multiple shear pins in it?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 14 Old 02-20-2019, 11:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I like the idea of supporting the auger shaft so you can really bang away at it, without stressing the gearbox too much.

But I'm making an assumption that these are the "segmented" augers? The kind where a 24 blower has maybe 4 auger pieces total, a 32" has 6 auger pieces total, that sort of thing. And that each segment has 1 shear pin, and is independent of their neighbor.

Is that the type that this machine uses? Or does each side have longer single auger, with multiple shear pins in it?
Good point, hadn't thought about a segmented Auger assembly. Definitely want that answered. Pulling the auger assembly should work regardless, but more work if not needed to be done that way.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-20-2019, 12:39 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 1013
Likes (Received): 235
Garage
Ball joint press might work. They are available for rental many places. Getting the adaptors to work could be challenging.

Wake me up when the snow's done...
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #10 of 14 Old 02-20-2019, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 521
Thanks (Received): 687
Likes (Given): 3905
Likes (Received): 1498
Garage
Ball joint press is a great idea. I'm pretty sure Oreilly has a loaner, Auto Zone listed this one.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...set/449947_0_0

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gibbs296 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page