LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-27-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
HS928 won't start

This an old snowblower -- probably 15+ years old. It sometimes starts and sometimes doesn't. I believe that I'm not getting spark. It's either the switch (on/off) or ignition coil. I don't have a shop manual. Anyone have this issue? Any ideas? I may have to splurge for a shop manual -- I think I can get one for about $40. I figured I'd check with you guys first.

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-27-2019, 09:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
The easiest thing to do is actually confirm your spark problem. If you have access to a spark tester that would be an easy way to check. They can be purchased for little money. If not then pull the plug and put the wire on the plug and ground it to the head and pull or bump elcect. start if equipped, make sure switch is ON and if no spark , try a different plug.
If still no spark you can defeat the on/off switch by un plugging the ground from the coil and retest if still no spark then you have a problem at the coil, If you do have spark then you have a switch problem.

You say it starts sometimes , before you do anything else I would spray some carb cleaner in the intake of the carb and try to start it , if it keeps trying to start you may have a fuel delivery problem.
Has the carb be cleaned or rebuilt? How old is the gas in it?
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #3 of 31 Old 02-27-2019, 09:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
This may not be yours but , in the fuel section you will see that it has a sediment trap and filter along with the shut off.

Hope it helps some.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...x317677230.pdf
post #4 of 31 Old 02-27-2019, 10:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 622
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 877
Likes (Received): 925
Garage
agree with lottstodo.

determine spark. switch , if so probably needs a good carb cleaning.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #5 of 31 Old 02-27-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. I didn't know that unplugging the ground to the coil would defeat the switch -- that's good to know. The coil on this thing is kind of pain to get to. I'm waiting for warmer weather to tear into it. I have not cleaned the carb, but you can smell it when trying to start it. When it runs, it runs just fine. Intermittent issues are sometimes hard to solve.

David
post #6 of 31 Old 02-27-2019, 11:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Just to be clear you are unplugging the ground from the coil to the switch not the actual ground for the coil. And so you know that when you do this you have to choke it to stall it or turn off fuel etc. to turn it off.
post #7 of 31 Old 02-27-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That makes sense, thanks.
post #8 of 31 Old 02-27-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Okay, still not sure what's up. I just tried to start it with the cord pull with no luck but was able to fire it up with electric start. Why does this thing sometimes run and sometimes not? While it was running, I turned the switch off and then back on and the engine would re-fire every time I turned it back to 'run' -- so I don't think it's the switch. What was cause this to not start sometimes? I will get a spark tester and try that when I can't get it to run. I also don't think it's compression because when it runs, it runs like a scolded dog. Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #9 of 31 Old 02-27-2019, 02:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I think you are still having either primer issues or carb issues. starting with electric is telling me that the faster spin is able to pull fuel because of multiple revolutions that you are not getting using the pull starter. I would pull and clean the carb an pay close attention to the the primer and hoses. As well all passages in the carb , or replace carb with a new one.

Now as well you could have a valve not seating properly and making the engine not be able to pull the correct vacuum in order to bring fuel into the cylinder. BUT, I believe this to be carb or primer related. IMO
post #10 of 31 Old 02-27-2019, 04:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 622
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 877
Likes (Received): 925
Garage
I'd rather clean the old Honda carb first . sounds like spark/coil is okay. do you have to choke it even a little to restart a warm engine?

my gut is saying you could get by with an inframe cleaning of the carb. you can take top plate off and remove 2 mounting bolts of carb and pull that carb cover off ( not sure the correct part name ) from there you can access almost every hole and take pilot jet off and clean that , spray up pick up tube, take sentiment cup off and spray cleaner in every hole and follow up with compressed air if you have it.

it's been my experience that this usually works in the majority of cases and does not take very long. first time maybe an hour but after awhile you can do this pretty quickly.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page