post #1 of 10 Old 02-28-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
Toro Power Clear 418

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone let me know if these paddles should be replaced? I don't see any wear holes or marks, unless I went past them! The scraper bar is toast, I wore that down past the screws. I'll probably have to use a screw extractor or something else to get those out .........unless someone has other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190227_220129.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	154235   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190227_220004.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	154237   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190227_220018.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	154239  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 135
Gibby'

The "wear indicators" on these single stage paddles is simply a hole stamped into the paddle. Your third picture would be the best angle to see it, if it was there. Generally these are located at the sharpest part of the curve in the paddle's shape, and set in no more than 1/2 an inch from the outer edge. Yours are gone, so yes those paddles should be replaced.

Since the excessive wear on the scraper bar also shows that there hasn't been much attention paid to maintenance on this machine, I would recommend you get one of those kits that includes the paddle drive belt as well as the scraper and paddles. Likely the belt will need replacing soon too. It's generally cheaper to get one of these kits rather than buying the parts a la carte.

As for the screws on the scraper bar, you could try and carefully drill them out, or alternatively, if you have a Dremel, you could use a cutting wheel to cut the plastic scraper material away from around each screw, enough so you could get a pair of vice grips on them, and break them loose that way. Or, you could carefully, using the dremel wheel, just cut what's left of the heads off of them, being careful not to cut into the auger housing.

When you replace the bar, I always recommend using stainless steel bolts and nuts, along with lock washers.
You can buy whatever quantity you need from the hardware aisle of your local Home Depot or Lowes.

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
post #3 of 10 Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 637
On my Toro SS, that wear hole is punched all the way through the rubber. So if you don't see holes near the ends of the paddles, yeah, they're really worn.

I just bought mine (221), the paddles & scraper bar were quite worn. I got OEM paddles, scraper bar, and belt for $55 on Amazon. Pretty good price, I thought. Just for some pricing context. My belt seemed pretty good when I opened it up, but for about $5 (vs the no-belt bundle), it was worth buying, and I have the old one as a spare.

For removing the bolts, maybe Dremel a slot in the ends, and use a flat-head screwdriver to remove them? It would be fairly easy to try, at least.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 10 Old 02-28-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Great advice guys! Thanks so much. Yes, I should have replaced the scraper bar a while ago, neglected that for sure! Found all the stuff on Ebay for very inexpensive, a bit less than Amazon. I'll place the order today for paddles, scraper bar, and a spare belt.

This machine runs great. I actually ended up repowering it last year with the 79cc Predator Engine for $99. The only thing I had to do was get a shaft collar and new key to mate to the new shaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171223_143552.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	154241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Predator 79cc 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	154243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Predatoro 180 - 4.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	154245  

Last edited by gibbywmu; 02-28-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296, SayItAintSnow, Grunt liked this post
post #5 of 10 Old 02-28-2019, 01:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Cool, nice work with the repower! I've wondered whether it's possible to repower the SS machines. It seems like the 2-stroke in my machine is tilted back. So an engine swap to a 4-stroke seemed like it could be tricky, even setting aside issues like the engine interfering with the shroud. It seems like your shroud has some extra "vents" to help deal with interferences?

From what I read, people seemed to say the OEM Toro paddles last longer than aftermarket, so I decided to go with the original parts. I got a very good deal on the machine, so decided the few extra $'s were worth it, to start off with the best-possible performance.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 10 Old 02-28-2019, 02:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbywmu View Post
This machine runs great. I actually ended up repowering it last year with the 79cc Predator Engine for $99. The only thing I had to do was get a shaft collar and new key to mate to the new shaft.

Well heck....if you can do that, the maintenance we talked about should be a piece of cake.

So 79cc. That would be about 3hp right? Is that what was on this machine before? (Not familiar with the 418).

I see you had to get creative with the engine shroud to fit over that Predator. Good job though. Looks like you have shielded it pretty well.

You inspire me to try something: I have a cr2450 that I just used this morning, and because we tend to get lots of small snowfalls (less than 6") I would never be without one again. But I also have another 2450 with a blown up engine. I have been toying with the idea of picking up one of the Predator 6.5 hp to see if I could button it on there. My biggest concern was how the shroud wouldn't fit, but you've demonstrated that maybe I was too hasty in my thoughts about that. Originally, the 2450 had a 5 horse R-tek 2 stroke, so 6.5 HP would make it like it's sister blower, the 3650. Isn't that horizontal shaft version of the Predator the one that always goes on sale for like $99?

Anyways, nice job on the 418. You'll see a significant difference in throwing ability with those new paddles!

--- Clint Eastwood
post #7 of 10 Old 02-28-2019, 02:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
As I understand it, all the R-Tek engines are the same (2450, 3650, 210, 221, etc), and are all 141cc, they just changed the RPM to change the power rating.

So your 2450 *is* a 3650, just with a governor tab that was bent slightly differently, and no chute crank. Raise the RPM to the 3650 spec, and pow, free upgrade.

But, please try this! I'd love to know the answer. The 212cc Predator is the size of Toro's current largest single stage engine, in the 721. I'm guessing that would make a pretty nice machine, for quite a bit cheaper than a new 721. And that Predator can handle running faster than 3600 RPM, so you could probably coax some more power out of it.

My limited experience with my 221 has me pretty impressed so far. It's easy to handle, quick, and does a great job. Power seems like the biggest limitation. Anything to add more oomph would make it even more useful, so I'd need the 2-stage less often.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 10 Old 02-28-2019, 03:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Red,

Yeah....that's my philosophy about the single stage Toros as well.

As you and I discussed previously, I even fixed up a little Power-Lite that I fished out of someone's trash a while back.
That one is good for a couple or three inches of snow, and is very portable. You can fold it up and throw in the truck of a compact car, no problem.

And yes, the 3650 and 2450 are essentially the same machines. I've resisted the urge to bend the tab holding the governor spring to turn it into a 3650 though. These are old machines, and pushing too hard could result in me ending up with a 2nd blown up 2450. Besides, it works fine the way it is.

But the Predator repower for the dead one is intriguing. I do know that the engine is physically bigger than the R-tek, so that in itself is an issue. I'm not sure I could nip and tuck the shroud on that one as well, as Gibby did on his.

Just what I need too........another project.....

--- Clint Eastwood
post #9 of 10 Old 02-28-2019, 05:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 206
Likes (Received): 140
I have one of those 418s as well, bought it earlier this winter and changed out the scraper bar and mounting hardware (I also bought my scraper bar on ebay).

As long as you're not asking it to handle end of driveway piles, it works well enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all the replies guys! Yes, that 79cc Predator I bought is the one that always goes on sale for about $99. It is a horizontal shaft. Pretty sure that's what I paid for it. No idea what happened to the original engine, but when I took it apart, it appeared the sparkplug was smacking the piston. It was toast. I had no choice but to tear it apart and see what I could do . I figured what the heck, the bolt holes appeared to match so I figured it couldn't be that tough. As you can see from the previous pics, I had to get creative and use my dremel to gain access to the on/off switch, as well as the pull start. I'd like to keep the pull cord on the original tab, but it pulls out too far and you can't get enough rotations to pull it. Also, the oil plug is in the front, but when I changed it was easy. This thing is so light you can maneuver it to wherever you need..............thats why I wanted to repower it. Use it for the small snowfalls...........3" or so it what we frequently get.

Now, I have my Troy Built 2410 that I picked up 2 weeks ago for $150! (All it needed was some fresh gas and a new recoil assembly...............its amazing the things people give away because they can't turn a wrench!). I'll put some pics up here. I also added new slide shoes, replaced sparkplug, shearpins, and some other small stuff. In the spring I'll disassemble the auger housing and get some of the rust out and repaint it. I bought some of that Krylon "Troy Built Red" paint. Should do wonders for restoring! Glad I was able to find this little project so now I have a big and small snowblower!

Also, I threw in some pics of the new paddles and scraper bar. Should work much better now!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	154447   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190224_115327.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	154449   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	154451   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190304_091853.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	154453   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190304_091901.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	154455  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page