Old Tecumseh - High Speed Keeps Changing - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-02-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 1
Old Tecumseh - High Speed Keeps Changing

A 1990 sidevalve Tecumseh powered snowblower. Did some extensive maintenance with summer (valves, cleaned combustion chamber, re-attached governor rod and new spring). This winter, the high speed keeps changing. I'll set it w the high speed screw, it'll be ok for 10 yds of driveway, and then it'll start running too fast. So I reset the screw, but then 10 yds later it's running too slow and weak.

I don't think the hi-speed screw is changing, but the engine won't be consistent.

Any ideas?

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-02-2019, 04:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 403
Garage
Sounds like a governor issue, wrong spring, wrong hole, not adjusted correctly.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Sign216 liked this post
post #3 of 4 Old 03-02-2019, 05:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 354
Likes (Received): 621
Is anything in the governor linkage sticking? On my OHV Tecumseh, there's a plastic bushing at one pivot which must be installed facing a certain direction.

Is the carb adjustable? I think I've heard that if the needle tip gets damaged (like from over-tightening the screw), it can be difficult to maintain a consistent mixture. Perhaps that could show up as changing RPM?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 4 Old 03-02-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 1
JLawrence, the engine is very sensitive; i.e. it will run well only with the spring on a particular hole, and the carb adjusted "just so." As you said, it's possible that the spring is stretched out or deformed from the years of taking off-on. It looks used and abused.

October, I don't think the gov lever is sticking, but I like your idea re the carb needle. I think I heard somewhere that a missing needle O-ring can cause this symptom, and I'm sure the engine's original needle O-rings are either missing or in bad shape.

I am going to follow the advice of both of you, and get a new gov link spring and new carb idle and main needle O-rings. I don't know if it will solve the problem, but these parts are needed nonetheless.

Thank you for suggesting them.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page