LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Drive problem

I have a Craftsman 48" snow thrower about 5 years old. Started to have a problem.....if it's in a forward gear I can go several feet and it starts to slow down eventually moving into reverse. Any forward gear I put it in, whether blowing snow or moving on dry pavement, it will start to slow down and go into reverse. I can see the gear linkage at the end of the cable where it enters the housing actually move on it's own causing the cable to slacken. This means the friction disc (rubber disc) is moving across the drive wheel on it's own without manually moving the shifter control lever. If I have it in 6th gear it will move all the way through the lower gears and into reverse. When I let go of the drive clutch handle (which separates the wheel from the disc) the shift linkage will move back to the selected speed quickly but as soon as I depress the handle again it will go a few feet and start to slow down again into reverse. I haven't taken the housing cover off yet (want to wait til the end of winter) but suspect the wheel has a spiral groove worn into it or grease/dirt buildup on it. Thoughts why this shift issue is happening other than my idea? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 08:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 140
I'm not familiar with that machine but perhaps slack in the control cable controlling the shift position, allowing the friction disk to move "where it wants to"? I'm admittedly just guessing here.

A photo of the innards with the cover off would be helpful.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I already adjusted the cable to remove a slight amount of slack per the manual but didn't help. The cable it taught when a gear is selected but starts to become slack when the unit is in drive, resulting in the machine moving into lower speeds on it's own. For some reason the rubber friction disc is moving across the friction wheel on it's own. Sorry, don't have a picture of it since I don't have it apart but it's a typical friction disc/wheel setup.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 09:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
Welcome to the forum!

How many cables control the gear-select mechanism? If it's 2, then one is always under tension, no matter which way the selector (that goes to the rubber friction disk) is trying to move. And if they're adjusted properly, they shouldn't really allow any movement.

But if there's just one cable, then it can only pull in one direction (obviously). Which would mean something must prevent the selector from moving the other way, towards the cable. A spring would be the most likely explanation. If so, maybe the spring broke.

With a model # of the machine, you could look up a parts list, to see what's down there.

You could also try just pushing the gear selector (down by the tractor base, wherever that cable goes) towards the cable, and see if anything tries to move it back (keeping the cable under tension).

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 09:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 188
i would recommend taking the time to put to pull the pan and check things out. the longer that you don't the more possible damage you could be doing. it really doesn't take that long t put it in the service position and pull the pan to at least look at things and see if there is any damaged parts.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #6 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It's a single cable....the selector handle works just fine...it stays in the position/speed you select but the linkage down at the end of the cable moves into lower gears/reverse by itself resulting in the cable at that end becoming slack. It's model number 247.883981 but the parts drawing is so congested it's hard to see what's involved with the linkage going to the friction disc....I don't see a spring.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 10:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
The linkage at the end of the cable is what I was trying to refer to, sorry, not the handle that you interact with.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 10:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 188
speed selector looks the same as most other snowblowers. maybe you got a spring missing. i know my machine always wants to shift into the fastest gear and the closer you get to reverse the harder you have to pull on the shifter but there is a spring that does that.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #9 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm sure the friction disc is moving back and forth on the shaft as I change gears ok, but when I engage the clutch handle which moves the friction plate up against the friction disc the friction disc moves to the center of the friction plate from right to left (if I have the unit in a forward gear) and ends up in reverse. Something is not holding the friction disc in the selected gear position.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Possibly there is a spring down at the end of the linkage where it attaches to the friction disc that's broke....I just can't see it on the parts diagram if there is one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page