Tecumseh LH358SA Will not Start- Need Help - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 06-16-2019, 03:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 91
Likes (Received): 43
That is the valve guide you see that moved up towards the head. They are pressed in and they do come loose from time to time. Tecumseh's were noted for that problem in the past. Tecumseh engines weren't the most reliable engines in their time.
I have seen throttle plate screws loosen and fall out and get sucked into the engine from time to time, they can damage the valve face, seat, cylinder wall, and become embedded in the piston head.
If the valve guide comes loose, the valve will not stay in a straight line with the seat and will leak. I have seen pressed in seats come loose in some engines.
Some guides that are pressed in are also "expanded" with a knurl-er to make them fit tighter. Then they have to be reamed.
If you can get a new valve guide, I would suggest taking the engine block to a good engine builder/machine shop to have the block inspected where the valve guide is located to make sure the hole in the block is not worn out excessively where the guide presses in at.
You used to be able to get guides that were a little bit "over-sized" so they would be able to be pressed in and stay tight, because when they came loose, they wore the hole in the block where they were mounted/pressed in at.
If you would replace the guide, there are special tools to do the job and you will have to "ream" the guide so the valve stem fits properly.
Tecumseh engines were fun "mini-bike" and "go-kart" engines back in their day, but they blew up faster than they ran back in the early 70's. At least they were very cheap engines to replace and were a "dime a dozen" back then, but their "reliability" issues still haunt them today. Another reason to stay away from LCT engines, the company that took over Tecumseh and are still making unreliable engines like the old ones, even that they are new and a new design, their quality just isn't there like the old Tecumseh's they replaced.
Good luck with the repairing of your engine, you might get lucky and bring it back to life again as long as you can get the parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 06-16-2019, 02:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 111
Likes (Received): 19
Thanks Much ST1100A and RedOctobyr for your wise and experienced advice. I'm gonna put two new valves in it and lapp them in. I'll need to figure out what to do about that exhaust guide that is rising up from the breather area. Since this is a double shaft ENGINE, and those are not too available, unless one wants to spend a bunch of $$, I'm going to try and get it going again.

I'll report back after my parts arrive.
post #23 of 38 Old 06-16-2019, 07:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 351
Likes (Received): 611
In a pinch, you could probably cannibalize parts from another Tecumseh LH358. They're probably not as common as the 8hp Snow King, the 318cc version. I'm guessing this is maybe a 10hp? But apparently the single-shaft and dual-shaft machines are basically the same, with the exception of the camshaft, and the camshaft cover. So if it came to that, maybe any 10hp flathead Snow King engine could be used.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #24 of 38 Old 06-19-2019, 10:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
I love how OPINIONS for LCT engines are being based off of tecumseh old style engines.. LCT bought the company out, however was already in buisness building there own engines way before that happened. tecs NEVER had anything close to a LCT engine. So may I ask what engine you recommend for new replacement , Briggs, built in china , predator built in china, chonda built in china , kohler built in china, as is LCT built in china and many others.
Of all the engines listed above in total we have about 200 in service in many different applications, and of them where we have had problem matic conditions that liked to tear up engines, we have found that LCTs held up great where others failed, I am also talking about some applications that are used daily and in some 24/7 where field service takes place.
To be honest if someone brings me a piece of equipment with a Briggs and they say I want it replaced with a briggs, I tell them to take it else where , however that is my personal opinion of briggs engines, and I would not tell someone to stay away from brand X just because I did not like it, unless we have found and proven a fatal flaw in a engine series.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dauntae liked this post
post #25 of 38 Old 06-20-2019, 12:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
We have had too many LCT engine failures within 10 hours or less, engine hours. At best, we only get about 300 engine hours out of the LCT's. Our engine fleet are run industrial and commercially.
Your "Old" Tecumseh engines were built around the time Tecumseh went out of business, so that would actually be their "Newer" models, say around 15-20 years old. The ones back in the early 70's along with the "New" models were unreliable, anyone with a lot of experience knows that.
The LCT engines are not worth fixing, their "low price" and difficulty of getting quality parts that fit and work, and even hold up in moderate use. We have sent out many metal specimens to have analyzed, and the results came back as inferior quality materials used in manufacture of the product.
Yes it is a shame all of our American manufacturing companies decided to make their products "overseas" to "save a buck" and line their own pockets with all of the profits and screw the american consumer, and the former employees that used to work for the companies. It was all about the "mighty dollar" for themselves and "heck" with anyone else.
Our engine fleets have on the average 5,000 to 10,000 engine hours on them. We use the Honda "GX" series engine made in America. Stay away from the ones made in China, they are built differently, different parts, different machine clearances, and much poorer quality raw materials used in manufacturing.
Most of our fleet of 400 plus GX engines were built back in the mid 90's. Sometimes we get one that breaks a valve stem or wears out a set of piston rings.
At least we can replace a valve on a hot engine and have it up and running again within a half hours time.
These engines are generally run 24/7 most times or a minimum 2000 hrs yearly, to give an idea of the reliability that our "Jobbers" expect out of an engine.
Now if you would get the Honda "GX" engine, check the serial number on it and make sure the 3rd digit is a "G" and NOT a "C" stamped into it.
Briggs finally realized the mistake they made by closing up their manufacturing facilities in the U.S. and moving manufacturing to China to "Save a Buck" and line the CEO's pocket with profits, and their quality took a nose dive.
Briggs copied the Honda "GX" engine for their new "Intek" engine, with much less quality. Remember, China has NO copyright laws like here in the U.S., so they can get away with that.
As of this time Briggs is in the process of moving their manufacturing back to the U.S., but it may take 5 to 10 years for them to become established again.
Right now our country is in a bind because we have almost no "Skilled Trade" workers left anymore. Most of the "Old Timers" are gone and we don't have the people to teach the younger crowd the skilled trades used in manufacturing anymore. All of the young people only know how to use a computer, and nothing else. If they can't "Click their Keys" or "Pick their Nose" with their finger tips, they are at a total loss with everything, and they don't want to get their hands dirty in a manufacturing shop.
If you are looking for another "good" old time engine that was built to last, I would suggest an old Gravely "L" model engine. We also have a fleet of those that are around 50+ years old with over 50,000 hours on the clock.
I don't mean to scare people away from LCT engines, some people "Live by them", but we have had nothing but problems with them and have filled dumpsters full of them to send to the scrap yard because out of the hundreds of them, none has held up at all like the older Honda GX and other old Kohler's, Onan's, Wisconsin's, Gravely's and the old cast iron Briggs motors.
post #26 of 38 Old 06-20-2019, 12:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnod View Post
Thanks Much ST1100A and RedOctobyr for your wise and experienced advice. I'm gonna put two new valves in it and lapp them in. I'll need to figure out what to do about that exhaust guide that is rising up from the breather area. Since this is a double shaft ENGINE, and those are not too available, unless one wants to spend a bunch of $$, I'm going to try and get it going again.

I'll report back after my parts arrive.
When you put the new valves in, check the clearance first before you put the head back on it. You may have to grind the stems down a little bit to get the desired clearance between the valve and lifter, otherwise they will be too "Tight" and will leak, causing lack of compression and hard starting and power loss, especially when the engine is hot.
Good luck with it and let us know how you make out with it.
Those double shaft engines are hard to find parts for now-days, especially the camshaft and rear engine cover.
post #27 of 38 Old 06-20-2019, 03:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 351
Likes (Received): 611
Wow, those are impressive quantities of engines, and run times. ST1100A, what are those engines doing?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #28 of 38 Old 06-20-2019, 07:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
The patent on Honda Engines has expired and anyone can build nearly an exact copy as long as you change something slightly such as bore size a little bit. Loncin builds the Hemi version of the Predator 212cc and Rato builds the non Hemi 212cc. Both have proven themselves to be reliable engines and parts are easily obtainable for both engines including superior billet rods and flywheels and racing pistons and carburetors. A stage 2 Predator 212cc will put out about 13hp.
post #29 of 38 Old 06-21-2019, 12:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
The patent on Honda Engines has expired and anyone can build nearly an exact copy as long as you change something slightly such as bore size a little bit. Loncin builds the Hemi version of the Predator 212cc and Rato builds the non Hemi 212cc. Both have proven themselves to be reliable engines and parts are easily obtainable for both engines including superior billet rods and flywheels and racing pistons and carburetors. A stage 2 Predator 212cc will put out about 13hp.
Honda still holds the patents on those engines, they kept renewing them because they still make those engines, they were smart enough to never let it expire.
The only Nations that honor the U.S. patents are some of the N.A.T.O. nations whom the US gives lots of money to and supports. Not all countries honor the U.S. Copyright/Patent laws, they are not legally obligated to do so.
I remember working for Honda when a lot of that was going on and how Honda had to fight it, and what they could and could not do about it.
Honda realized a little bit too late the mistake they made by giving China a lot of their technology and designs to make their products there. They didn't think China was going to "Steal" all of their designs and make them for themselves to sell to the world under the Honda name and keep all of the profits the way they did. Honda was pretty upset that it happened, I remember that all to well.
Years ago when China first started copying the Honda engines and were selling them in the U.S. the United States began to Boycott them and wouldn't let them into the country unless they took the Honda name off of them and made some changes, basically like changing the paint colors on them so as not to confuse a buyer into thinking they were buying an official Honda engine at 1/4 the cost. That was the only thing the US could do about that because the companies making them did not have to abide by Copyright laws in this country.
Japan and Canada are some of the few Nations in the world who honor the US Copyright Patents, most all other countries in the world do not honor them.
Honda has been making race engines for decades now, but they are hard to get your hands on, if you have an inside way with HRC you can get your hands on them.
Those little engines, Honda and the other companies listed are surprising when they rev out at over 12,000 RPM's. The Honda race engines held up very well but the cost on them was 100 times more expensive than your Loncin and Predator parts. Those expensive prices did not help Honda and may run them into the ground by charging so much, but the Professional Teams can afford them, the common people can't.

Last edited by ST1100A; 06-21-2019 at 12:42 AM.
post #30 of 38 Old 06-21-2019, 12:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Wow, those are impressive quantities of engines, and run times. ST1100A, what are those engines doing?
Many of the engines are used for emergency back up uses, like running pumps and generators in installations that cannot have any downtime waiting for electrical power to be restored. A lot of those units are running 24/7 for months on end before they are shut down. A lot of times they are under full load most of the time with short breaks in between.
Others are used for various industrial and commercial applications, mining and agriculture, field use and just about anything you could think of.
When dealing with "Old Timers", they will not settle for anything less, and I don't blame them, they expect quality and longevity, the way things were built back in the "Old Days".
Some power-plants are used in Research and Development, testing lubricants and vital engine components to find weaknesses in them so they can be improved.
You would be surprised at some of the "Old Timers" who are still up on their feet and running these things every day, working their butts off, unlike most lazy kids today who have to take breaks constantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page