Want to take the plunge on a ultrasonic cleaner - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-12-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 698
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 1151
Likes (Received): 1157
Garage
Want to take the plunge on a ultrasonic cleaner

after doing a bunch of homework I want to finally buy an ultrasonic cleaner to clean Honda carburetors.

the selections are overwhelming.

my main question is what SIZE should i get? 3-6-9 Litre or other size ?i will only need one big enough to do one carb at a time.

and what brand do you all recommend? I don't want cheap but don't need an industrial/professional grade either as i will probably only do about 12-20 in a year.

I have seen them from $69 to $699 and just don't know what would work for my hobby shop. what works for you?

thanks.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-12-2019, 02:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 92
Likes (Received): 303
This one at Harbor Freight seems to be well liked for an inexpensive unit... Looks like the right size for a carb.
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

Last edited by tabora; 03-12-2019 at 02:38 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
post #3 of 24 Old 03-12-2019, 03:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
+1
five years and still running
Fits two carbs easily
post #4 of 24 Old 03-12-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 517
Thanks (Received): 685
Likes (Given): 3898
Likes (Received): 1497
Garage
The HF one is cheap, I know I have one. What I learned is never leave solution in the tank overnight with the cover on. The plastic can and will turn opaque even with a non solvent solution for cleaning. Don't walk away from it as the heater doesn't always turn off when the timer for the cleaning cycle ends. Boiled off a tank of cleaning solution and ruined a carb that way.
One trick I thought was excellent was to put the carb/parts into a glass container or even a plastic bag with solution into the cleaner filled with water. The ultrasonic will still penetrate the glass but it's so much easier to clean up the bottom of the glass jar or just toss the bag than the plastic tray and cleaners tank. Just want to make sure the glass or bag is on the plastic tray and not on the tank itself. You don't want to have metal against the tank as it will wear a hole in your tank. I'm not sure about glass but I wouldn't take the chance.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-12-2019, 03:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 180
Likes (Received): 125
+1 on the HF unit. Mine is around 5 years old, has cleaned a few dozen carbs, and lots of other little parts and tools. I too put the cleaning solution in another container, and then that put that container on the plastic tray, with around 1/2 full water. Seems to work just as well, and no worries about corroding the tank.

I will probably upgrade at some point, always looking for a good used unit.

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #6 of 24 Old 03-12-2019, 05:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 74
Thanks (Received): 176
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 608
I started with the smaller HF unit...and used it for three years, but it is too small for most carbs, I now use the lager one...about $89 if I remember, then the 20% coupon......
post #7 of 24 Old 03-13-2019, 09:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 51
Dumb question....do you first go though the normal cleaning process with carb spray and wire in holes before the ultasonic cleaner --- or do you just disassemble the carb and run it through the ultrasonic cleaner?

Last edited by rod330; 03-13-2019 at 09:35 PM.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod330 View Post
Dumb question....do you first go though the normal cleaning process with carb spray and wire in holes before the ultasonic cleaner --- or do you just disassemble the carb and run it through the ultrasonic cleaner?
I'll spray them down with some brake cleaner first, to get the heavy grime off. The dis-assemble and run it in the Ultrasonic. And then run welding tip cleaners thru the holes. Pre-clean saves on having to change the cleaner in the ultrasonic to much. I use Simple Green.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
Thanks rod330 thanked for this post
post #9 of 24 Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 74
Thanks (Received): 176
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 608
I soak in Simple Green straight in the sonic cleaner.....I dismantle the carb first......then blow out the passages with air, make sure the orifices are open with torch tip cleaners, put in a new welch plug and try her out.
Thanks rod330 thanked for this post
post #10 of 24 Old 03-13-2019, 10:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I try to clean heavy junk off the outside first, if possible. Then I disassemble it as much as I can easily.

For a float carb, the bowl comes out, jet & emulsion tube comes out, etc. For something like a diaphragm carb (chainsaw), I take off the plates at both ends, remove the diaphragms and things that will come out easily.

I have not removed Welch plugs, nor have I done mechanical cleaning, like running a wire through the jet. Admittedly, that would be important if there was a piece of grit/rubber stuck in it.

Then I heat & degas the solution, and clean them using Simple Green HD. I usually give them an hour, since I'm rarely in a rush. If I'm concerned, I may flip the carb over halfway though, or give it another whole cycle that way. I figure too much beats too little, at least within reason.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page