LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 04-07-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens Ignition upgrade.

Last winter picked up two blowers, Simplicity 8-60 8hp and an older Ariens 6hp both with Tecumseh's. The Simplicity after a overhaul, grease job, carb clean- runs like a champ, the Ariens ran OK. Decided to look into an ignition upgrade to solid state. After waiting for parts forever, installed a new coil and a Nova2 module, had a problem with no power, spitting, general running like crap. After trying to find a timing problem, finally switched over the pos/neg terminals on the module and night turned to day- runs very well. From the reading I found on switching ignition, I was under the impression that the engine would either run or not if the wiring was wrong, also the complaints of hard starting by hand are true- since I also found a deal on a oe electric starter, this is a non issue. On small engines I prefer to use premium fuel, and with timing advanced seems to run fine.
Very pleased with the results and looking forward to testing out next winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-07-2019, 10:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Post pictures if you can, I'm sure more than 1 person would like to see what's involved.
post #3 of 29 Old 04-08-2019, 01:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 136
Likes (Received): 86
The "Nova" brand is not that good. There are others that look like the Nova and are much better. Stens has a good module that is better than the "Nova".
As for premium fuel, high octane gas has a slower burn requiring more timing advance to make it fire and burn more completely. Small engines do not have enough timing advance and are of low compression to need high octane fuel. The only thing high octane fuel will do is cause hard starting, and cost you more money. Actually give you less power and lower fuel "Mileage".
Sometimes the ignition system will advance slightly with higher speed on certain model engines, so you would have to spin the engine over much faster to get it to fire hard enough to keep the engine running.
Low or regular octane gas has a faster more complete burn to make starting easier, give more power with a more complete burn in the cylinder, more volumetric BTU efficiency to push the piston down harder, causing more power, better fuel economy and less cost.
Most all of your small engines are designed for "regular" gas. Even your newer engines with higher compression are designed for regular gas. The combustion chamber are designed for that with less "quench area" to cause knocking or pre-ignition. Many of your motorcycle engines are designed and run better with regular gas without any problems, and they have compression ratios up over 10 to one.
post #4 of 29 Old 04-08-2019, 12:51 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 178
Which bring up a dillema for a lot of folks. E0 is often available in only 91 octane or above, so 91 octane E0 or 87 octane E?? ?
post #5 of 29 Old 04-08-2019, 04:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 74
Higher octane fuel does not burn slower. It's simply harder to ignite. Which means you can run more ignition timing (up to the point where the engine can't benefit from more) without risking damage due to pre-ignition. Most small engines run less timing than ideal to avoid having too much timing at idle (because there's no advance mechanism). So running premium fuel will allow you to advance the timing a little bit (and gain some power and efficiency) without risking issues when at less than full RPM.

Fuel also loses octane while sitting (even with stabilizer, although this helps), so high octane gas gives more margin for error if you're running gas that's a few months old (as it would have to lose more octane before it becomes a problem). And generally, most of us don't put enough fuel through our small engines for cost to be a big concern. If you keep your fuel fresh and aren't going to advance the timing, I'll agree that there's nothing to gain from high octane, so might as well use the cheap stuff.
post #6 of 29 Old 04-08-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
You're right- my bad, I appreciate photo's when I read and I will see if I have any of the completed project.

So.... here in Canada we don't seem to have all the products you have access to in the US, the Nova I ended up getting was shipped here. My choice would have been an obscure Aussie colour coded make- but the application description was too vague. As for brand, I found little info out there between Oregon, Nova, Stens, etc., in fact what I ordered is not what I recieved. Besides timing difference with higher octane, I believe the fuel is better quality with less ethanol. Anyway- it runs far better than it did when it first showed up. I'm not really aware that the H60 has quench as a flathead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3470.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	155435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3471.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	155437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3531.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	155439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3552.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	155441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3553.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	155443  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3554.jpg
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	155445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3776.JPG
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	155447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3777.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	155449  

Last edited by dfarr67; 04-08-2019 at 09:23 PM.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-09-2019, 11:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarr67 View Post
...... Besides timing difference with higher octane, I believe the fuel is better quality with less ethanol. Anyway- it runs far better than it did when it first showed up. I'm not really aware that the H60 has quench as a flathead.
I am not familiar with all the technicalities of engine design theory, but in real life, premium 91 octane fuel without ethanol works perfectly in all engines whether specified or not. My Ariens starts first pull on the mildest and coldest days of winter and runs strongly for however long I want. There are extra cleaners in premium gas and in Canada the fuel is spec'd to cover a wider range of temperatures for better vaporisation. Any gas left over from winter goes into the lawnmower and other summer engines seamlessly. And the same with leftover summer gas going into the snowblower. My car is never a dumping ground for fuel.

This link shows gas stations in Alberta that sell non ethanol gas: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB so you have options for regular and premium without any ethanol. In Canada as a whole all Shell 91 and Esso 91 and Canadian Tire 91 have no ethanol.

I use Premium gas without ethanol because it is stable over a year (or more) long period and does not need any stabilisers or other treatments. Keeps carbs and the entire fuel system clean so gas can remain in the system between snowfalls. All of the dealers and individuals here recommend non-ethanol gas which means premium because of the quick deterioration of ethanol in gas leading to non start and fuel system issues.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #8 of 29 Old 04-09-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I use Premium gas without ethanol because it is stable over a year (or more) long period and does not need any stabilisers or other treatments. Keeps carbs and the entire fuel system clean so gas can remain in the system between snowfalls. All of the dealers and individuals here recommend non-ethanol gas which means premium because of the quick deterioration of ethanol in gas leading to non start and fuel system issues.

-This-
post #9 of 29 Old 04-09-2019, 01:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 220
Garage
I dunno about others, but I use 91 non-ethanol always because it's easy to find at the pump. My vehicles require 91, and all my small engines get it.

I DO find that my older Briggs engines on my lawn mowers (early 1990's vintage Quantums) detest older gas as far as starting is concerned. It gets over a month old, it probably isn't going to start. Drain the tank, pour fresh in...starts on 1st pull.

My older (early 1970's) Tecumseh's on my blowers start and run fantastic on it and I have found no age "limit" to where they don't start and run fine. Last fall I started on the 1st pull my H70-130067 on Bill - the gas being approximately 7 months old in it's tank.

YMMV...

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", recent addition, ready for snow
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", finally ready for snow
1971 Ariens 910962/910995 "Bill", SOLD 3/7/2019
post #10 of 29 Old 04-09-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm not a fan of pulling carbs apart- whatever I can do to avoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page