Ethanol Free Gas Octane - Can I use race gas? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 29
Likes (Received): 6
Ethanol Free Gas Octane - Can I use race gas?

I found a gas station near me that sells ethanol free gas in cans (not from a pump sadly). They sell octane ratings of 98, 101, 110

I was planning on using ethanol free in all my small engines this summer and my snowblowers next winter. Does the octane rating matter? My thought was to get the lowest ethanol free I can find, which in this case is 98 - I'm unsure if any higher octane would affect my small engines (or my car if I need a tank in a pinch!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 129
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 226
No, high-octane gasoline is only important to prevent detonation in high-compression engines or ones with highly advanced timing. 98 Shouldn't be a problem in your OPE.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks WalkThisWhey thanked for this post
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 01:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
A number of gas stations in the general Boston area:

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MA
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #4 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 01:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 80
Likes (Received): 25
Most of your newer OPE engines are designed to run ok on ethanol gas now. They are made with the materials that resist the bad effects of the ethanol better than the older engines, so you would probably just be spending the extra money on the non ethanol gasoline.
It might run a little bit better, but not a big difference. It lasts the same as regular pump gas, unless it has a fuel stabilizer in it from the factory, other than that, its just more expensive per gallon.
I just use regular unleaded gasoline with the ethanol crap in it and don't really have any problems with it.
I always treat my fuel with stabilizers like Startron or Stabil. I use it year round and never have any problems. I go through a lot of fuel monthly because my engines are used very often. I use those fuel treatments in everything, cars, trucks, motorcycles, outdoor power equipment and 87 octane regular gas.
If your not sure, use some fuel treatment everytime you fill your cans and you could save a little bit of money instead of paying extra for non alcohol fuel.
You can even save a little more money by using a little bit of petroleum naptha as a stabilizer, the active ingredient in it, and if you need the higher anti knock compound, use a little bit of toluene in it as well, but be careful and dont add too much. Thats an "old timers" trick. You can buy those chemicals at a hardware store a lot cheaper than some of the off the shelf other products from the auto parts store.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes WalkThisWhey liked this post
post #5 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100A View Post
Most of your newer OPE engines are designed to run ok on ethanol gas now. They are made with the materials that resist the bad effects of the ethanol better than the older engines, so you would probably just be spending the extra money on the non ethanol gasoline.
It might run a little bit better, but not a big difference. It lasts the same as regular pump gas, unless it has a fuel stabilizer in it from the factory, other than that, its just more expensive per gallon.
I just use regular unleaded gasoline with the ethanol crap in it and don't really have any problems with it.
I always treat my fuel with stabilizers like Startron or Stabil. I use it year round and never have any problems. I go through a lot of fuel monthly because my engines are used very often. I use those fuel treatments in everything, cars, trucks, motorcycles, outdoor power equipment and 87 octane regular gas.
If your not sure, use some fuel treatment everytime you fill your cans and you could save a little bit of money instead of paying extra for non alcohol fuel.
You can even save a little more money by using a little bit of petroleum naptha as a stabilizer, the active ingredient in it, and if you need the higher anti knock compound, use a little bit of toluene in it as well, but be careful and dont add too much. Thats an "old timers" trick. You can buy those chemicals at a hardware store a lot cheaper than some of the off the shelf other products from the auto parts store.
It's not so much "running better" I am concerned about, but longer term storage. I've used fuel stabilizer before but want to just put this fuel in and not worry about gas going bad if I don't use something for 2 or 3 months.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 04:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 80
Likes (Received): 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkThisWhey View Post
It's not so much "running better" I am concerned about, but longer term storage. I've used fuel stabilizer before but want to just put this fuel in and not worry about gas going bad if I don't use something for 2 or 3 months.
It will be fine, just put the stabilizer in the gas as directions specify and it will be good. Non Ethanol fuel has the same shelf life as Ethanol fuel, it doesn't stay fresher or good longer than Non Ethanol fuel.
The only reason Ethanol laced fuel may go bad quicker is because of "Phase Separation" meaning the alcohol and gasoline may separate after time, usually because Ethanol Alcohol attracts water, and when enough water is absorbed into the mixture, it will separate and drop out of the gasoline.
The Ethanol acts like "Dry Gas" where its molecules surround the water molecules to let fuel burn around it and causing the fuel burn to boil the water when the fuel ignites and burns in the combustion chamber. It tries to prevent the water from extinguishing the "burn" or "flame" when the fuel is ignited.
Alcohol does attract and absorb moisture out of the air, like a magnet does to steel, so keep your fuel containers closed and sealed as best as possible.

Last edited by ST1100A; 04-16-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GeekOnTheHill, WalkThisWhey liked this post
post #7 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 214
Likes (Received): 134
One can always get the Trufuel (or equiv.) product. Supposed to be good for up to 2 yrs in a machine, 5 yrs. if the can is unopened. Simple, effective and affordable solution for that end of season shutdown.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes WalkThisWhey liked this post
post #8 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100A View Post
It will be fine, just put the stabilizer in the gas as directions specify and it will be good. Non Ethanol fuel has the same shelf life as Ethanol fuel, it doesn't stay fresher or good longer than Non Ethanol fuel.
The only reason Ethanol laced fuel may go bad quicker is because of "Phase Separation" meaning the alcohol and gasoline may separate after time, usually because Ethanol Alcohol attracts water, and when enough water is absorbed into the mixture, it will separate and drop out of the gasoline.
The Ethanol acts like "Dry Gas" where its molecules surround the water molecules to let fuel burn around it and causing the fuel burn to boil the water when the fuel ignites and burns in the combustion chamber. It tries to prevent the water from extinguishing the "burn" or "flame" when the fuel is ignited.
Alcohol does attract and absorb moisture out of the air, like a magnet does to steel, so keep your fuel containers closed and sealed as best as possible.
Thanks for the breakdown on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
One can always get the Trufuel (or equiv.) product. Supposed to be good for up to 2 yrs in a machine, 5 yrs. if the can is unopened. Simple, effective and affordable solution for that end of season shutdown.
Thanks, I actually just picked some up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page