Fuel leak into the Air Intake (Arrester) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-16-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
Fuel leak into the Air Intake (Arrester)

So long story short, I have a Craftsman C950.521260 Snowblower that over the winter the pull cord snapped on the recoil starter, over the winter I just used the electric start on it. Warmer weather finally arrived I decided to take the thing apart to fix the snapped pull rope.. needless to say whoever designed this for having to remove half the stupid shrouds should be fired.

Well I had to remove the carburator to slide recoil starter out. After putting everything back together now when I prime the fuel I get leaking by the Intake Arrestor, item #610 in the picture. At first I thought it was the gasket that was the issue, #163 but after make sure its carefully seated and even making my own new one I still get fuel seepage at this air arrestor (intake). From what I recall, this thing did not drip fuel previously to me taking it apart.

Anyways can someone tell me if this is normal or what? I just don't see how fuel once primed into the carburator wouldn't spill into the meshed arrestor? the opening hole on the arrestor is exactly the same size and lines up perfect with the opening on the carubator.

The gasket and arrestor sit on the opposite side of #130A in the other image. Would the Main Jet have something to do with fuel overflowing into this arrestor? This would be item #117.

Anyways looking forward to some help as Im getting frustrated with this thing and I know the gasket is seated properly and all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 8.25.59 AM.png
Views:	10
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	155525  
Attached Images

Last edited by freebo86; 04-16-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 100
Likes (Received): 43
When you prime the carb, you are pressurizing the fuel bowl, causing gas to rise up through the main jet and enter the venturi of the carb. It actually floods the venturi with raw fuel which is then sucked into the intake and then into the engine to help it start with the quick shot of over rich mixture.
The excess gas has to go somewhere while it is sitting in the carb venturi, so it will run out through the "arrestor".
What you are describing is perfectly normal behavior. If you pump the primer bulb too much, you will get a lot of fuel dripping out.
There is usually a little passageway designed in there somewhere to allow the excess gas to drip out so you dont get too much gas in the carb venturi, which could cause a "Hydro-lock", and lock up the piston travel and not allow the engine to turn over, and of course, "Flood" the engine.

Last edited by ST1100A; 04-16-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #3 of 5 Old 04-16-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100A View Post
When you prime the carb, you are pressurizing the fuel bowl, causing gas to rise up through the main jet and enter the venturi of the carb. It actually floods the venturi with raw fuel which is then sucked into the intake and then into the engine to help it start with the quick shot of over rich mixture.
The excess gas has to go somewhere while it is sitting in the carb venturi, so it will run out through the "arrestor".
What you are describing is perfectly normal behavior. If you pump the primer bulb too much, you will get a lot of fuel dripping out.
There is usually a little passageway designed in there somewhere to allow the excess gas to drip out so you dont get too much gas in the carb venturi, which could cause a "Hydro-lock", and lock up the piston travel and not allow the engine to turn over, and of course, "Flood" the engine.
ST1100A, thanks a lot for your informative post! This makes me rest easier and not think I'm crazy and a fool by not being able to properly seal that arrestor to the carburator. lol

Now with my luck, I lost the main jet (#117) somewhere, I thought I had placed it on a safe place on my workbench but looks like with the shuffling of things it got knocked over... how crucial is this item and do I really need it?
post #4 of 5 Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 582
Garage
the main jet is VERY important, without it you have a boat anchor.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #5 of 5 Old 04-16-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
the main jet is VERY important, without it you have a boat anchor.
Excellent just to add to the mess. Wouldn't happen to have one lying around lol you'd send for a couple of bucks? :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page