Snowblower Forum banner

Artic 75

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  gregg 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All. I recently inherited an Artic 75, and have been reading the forums and there seem to be at least a couple people that are experts on this model, so hopefully they will be some help. I do have the engine tech manual.

It's a model 75-03, sn 112946. Tecumseh H70-130124A, sn 1222R.

Wondering a couple things. The compression was at 105psi which seemed really good. Can anyone tell me what year this model is? Is it one of the Ariens models?

Also, going to replace the gear oil in auger case. How do you know how much to put in? What kind of oil? Regular 75w-90?

Going to replace the friction plate, so anywhere that could guide me to a part number for that would be great. Which may depend if this is an Ariens model or not. I think it's a 1720859, if I have the correct parts breakdown.

Thanks!
Jeff

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If the engine is original (and its 99% likely that it is, since the color, model and date of the engine perfectly match the snowblower) then its a 1971 model year.

The Tecumseh serial number, 1222R, says the engine was assembled at Tecumseh on the "222nd day of a year ending in 1", which in this case can only mean 1971. (1961 and 1981 machines are totally different, but its a perfect match for Ariens in 1971)

Yes, made by Ariens, it's a re-badged ariens 10,000 series:

https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page5.html

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/stoi-71.pdf

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/00013600.pdf

Any of the 1970, '71 or '72 Ariens models will likely be identical to your machine, as far as internal parts are concerned..the bucket is different, and perhaps a few other features..but the drivetrain parts are likely to be identical to Ariens machines.

Scot

#4 ·
Thank you for the info, you confirmed what I was thinking.

DB130, you are correct, I meant I was going to replace the friction disk with that number, like you said, not sure why it came out as "friction plate".

Sscotsman Thank you for the links.

So I read the links, and it didn't answer the question about how to fill the auger gear case. It said there was a fill hole on the front of the case, but I only have the expansion plug like in the pictures I posted. I have a pressure relief valve on the top and the drain hole. So how do you refill it? Tip it back on the handles and fill through the drain plug? It said it takes about 5oz in the links.

#7 ·
Thank you. I am going to replace the shear pins. They had the wrong spark plug in it, and I ended up replacing the carb because I had issues getting the float to move freely, plus the choke flap was all bent up for some reason. After that the engine fired right up and minimal adjustments has it running great, so now I'm going to work on the auger and go through it.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.