LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-14-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 190
pull start repairable?

i was wondering if the pull starts that have a rivet holding the pull start together instead of a bolt are repairable? picked up a poulan pro with a broken pull start cord and when i went to rewind it it almost seems like the spring might be broken. i was wondering if anyone has fixed one? i have on pull starts that are bolted together but never on a machine that is riveted together. it does have electric start that works so having the pull start not working is not a huge deal but since i was thinking about selling the machine off i figure it would be better to have it fixed. i just don't see buying a new pull start really increasing the value of it enough to justify buying a new one.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-15-2019, 03:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 91
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 206
Garage
They are
post #3 of 8 Old 06-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 251
Thanks (Received): 300
Likes (Given): 3012
Likes (Received): 556
Here is a link to the repair.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro (51984) Hand Held Blower (For the light stuff)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-15-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thank you. i didn't even know what they were called to look up. i figured they might have just been another disposable starter. i guess when i get some free time i will try tearing it apart and seeing what is up with it. i know i got a couple for parts if needed.

yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #5 of 8 Old 06-15-2019, 01:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 702
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 1204
Likes (Received): 1208
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
i was wondering if the pull starts that have a rivet holding the pull start together instead of a bolt are repairable? picked up a poulan pro with a broken pull start cord and when i went to rewind it it almost seems like the spring might be broken. i was wondering if anyone has fixed one? i have on pull starts that are bolted together but never on a machine that is riveted together. it does have electric start that works so having the pull start not working is not a huge deal but since i was thinking about selling the machine off i figure it would be better to have it fixed. i just don't see buying a new pull start really increasing the value of it enough to justify buying a new one.
how much would one be on ebay? would a universal pull start work ? would the local landfill let you pick?

how much is this blower worth now? or in winter? ( in complete condition ) without the pull start people will be leary like "what else is wrong?" I think it would be worth it to replace or repair pull start.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #6 of 8 Old 06-15-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
by the time you deal with shipping probably $50+ for a pull start. someone could look the machine over. it is a good clean machine that is lucky if it has 10 hours on it. my old neighbors that gave me the ariens bought it and only used it 1 winter then moved and gave it to their next door neighbor who might have used it once before breaking the pull cord. the good news is i got the pin out and pull start seems to functioning as it should now. hoping to get it back on the machine and prep the machine to sit in storage for the summer. might be lucky if i got $150 in the winter for it with a broken pull start. even with a working pull start i have a feeling i might be lucky if i got much over $150 for it. it is not like it is a high end brand name machine. just a cheap poulan pro.

yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #7 of 8 Old 06-15-2019, 07:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
......... without the pull start people will be leary like "what else is wrong?" I think it would be worth it to replace or repair pull start.

Absolutely.....
Yeah.....don't you love the ads for power equipment on CL that obviously don't have an electirc start, that say "starts right up" along with "Pull start broken".

So I guess I have to take your word for it, that it starts right up, huh?.........No thanks. Not worth the trip....

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
post #8 of 8 Old 06-15-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
hahaha i completely understand. over the last couple years i have usually been posting videos of equipment that i am selling running in the add. i was kind of surprised that this machine fired right up when i plugged it in and used the electric start with the likely very old gas. my 1 neighbor watched him pull the cord out and told them i could fix it but they never asked me and it was to the curb when got home couple weeks ago. i don't know how they did it but they pretty much pulled the entire pull start cord out minus an inch or 2. i was able to re-use it. i would consider selling it with a broken pull start since it had a working electric start. that is how i bought my main snowblower. it is just nice to have the pull start for when you are not very close to a plug but not a huge deal breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_181827.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	156077  

yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page